• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Cleaning silver knobs

TKPDX

New Member
I've got a really nice silver face integrated amp (Optonica SM-4545) that I'm finishing cleaning up. The knobs have a splotchy corrosion on them that I'd like to remove. I've soaked them in water + dish soap, and scrubbed them with Simple Green, but no improvement. Is there anything that will clean this off?
I remember reading a "how to clean silver" thread a while back, but can't find it. Does anyone remember it?

Thanks,
Tom
IMG_1462.JPG
 
Register to hide this ad
If they’re metal you should be able to use steel wool and some metal polish. If they’re chrome plated plastic you’ve done all you can, anything more aggressive is most likely going to do more harm than good.
 
Related question - is it safe to use steel wool on aluminum knobs from this Akai amp that has a lot of sediment in the grooves? This one set out in a shed or garage for a long time. Similar to what the OP wrote, soaking the knobs overnight in soapy water didn't help, nor did various cleaners like Simple Green.

Akai_AA-5500_knobs.jpg
 
If they are solid metal, acetone in ultrasonic. If plastic inside, isopropyl instead.

Also good for getting all the other nasty unknown stuff from several people’s unwashed hands touching them....

The splotchy look is probably corrosion. The knobs were probably clear anodized and it can eventually allow corrosion (formation of aluminum oxide) which is white. If you use a polish, it may strip the rest of the anodize off. Just a word of caution.
 
Thank you all for the comments. Very welcome and helpful.

I think these knobs are aluminum stock with plastic inserts, as a bit of scratching with a metal pick on the inside surface (side that goes against the amp) shows only metal. And the outer flat surfaces look like they were machined as well.

I'll try some (careful) cleaning with one of the metal polishes . Hopefully it works as there are 8 knobs, all with some amount of this corrosion.
 
To report back, I decided to get the Mothers Mag polish. $6 for a 10 oz tub, so a pretty inexpensive investment. BTW, it didn't take the "fog" off my headlight lenses as some folks (elsewhere) claimed. If it had worked for that, I would have been a real happy camper!

The instructions advised that when polishing, you should get a black residue on the rag if the material is really aluminum or other metal. I did get the black stuff so it appears the knobs are actually aluminum as I assumed. The final results? Well, for a plus, they got nice and shiny, and it removed some, but not all, of the blotchy corrosion. But its still visible if you look at them just right. And sort of a drawback, is that that now that they are so shiny, any blemish or scratch shows more clearly. But overall, they do look better and I'm glad I used the cleaner. VOE below...

IMG_1518.JPG

In real life viewing, they look great, can't see the spots/blems unless you really look close in the right light. Hey, we should all look so good after 43 years!IMG_1704.JPG
 
I like Weiman glass cook top cleaner and polish. It feels like it would be very abrasive, but quite the opposite. The glass on my stovetop and a bunch of aluminum knobs and such have never looked better.
 
We've got that Weiman stuff too, only used it on the glass stove top, where it works well. I'll try it on one of the knobs and see if it improves the remaining blotches.
 
Back
Top Bottom