• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Cleaning speaker grilles

stain. some of it went away with the first bath. and, you could see the weave was closed/clogged compared to the rest.

This time I used Wisk on the suggestion by jpfcfw because it was close at hand. worked in directly with an old soft toothbrush. then, a bit more in the bathwater and more more scrubbing. rinse, rinse, rinse.....

waiting patiently for it to air dry as I type this.
 
I have had a few plastic framed speaker covers that had a white haze on them, I believe it to be mold. I sprayed ZEP mold and mildew remover on them, let them sit for about 10 minutes, and sprayed them off with water. They looked fantastic afterwards.
One pair of HPM 100's were so bad the guy who owned them gave them to me. After the ZEP they looked pretty good, I hit them with some black spray paint and they looked like new.
YMMV
 
Looking at the above pic, looks like an ideal time to try the spray paint. Feather it on very lightly. If you are worried about how it will turn out, cut a small hole in a piece of paper, use it as a stencil, and shoot the backside. It will dry in a couple minutes.
 
I have an entirely different grill schmutz problem. On my ADC 303ax both grills have what appears to be candle wax. Appears because to the touch it's not hard,raised or pulls away. I've had them for about 5 years now and they really don't bother me all that much. The rub is if some method is found to remove said schmutz wouldn't that leave the rest of the field that much darker. Grills are removeable and are made from thin masonite and have gold metal lining around the sides and are attached by velcro pads also done before I got them. Any ideas if I become courageous enough to attempt or just leave them be?
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0499[1].jpg
    DSCN0499[1].jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN0500[1].jpg
    DSCN0500[1].jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCN0501[1].jpg
    DSCN0501[1].jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCN0502[1].jpg
    DSCN0502[1].jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 9
how 'bout a pic or two?

heres a couple pics.These are a rare speaker and I don't want to damage the grills as they are not ment to be removed.Also there are 13 drivers per cabinet and if any acid was to get through the mesh it could reak havic on the drivers.All drivers have rubber surrounds.I have washed mildly with soap and water but there are a few problem area's that don't come clean.When the speakers were shipped over from Germany they taped the top removeable covers down and there is still residue from that.
hunter
 

Attachments

  • braun recap 048.jpg
    braun recap 048.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 13
heres a pic or two closer up and the staining can be seen,.

hunter
 

Attachments

  • braun dirty 001.jpg
    braun dirty 001.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 8
  • braun dirty 002.jpg
    braun dirty 002.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 11
I'm claiming success on my second go. In normal light I can't see any stain left. With flash on the camera, there seems to maybe be something left but I'm not going any further. They both look good now. Thanks for the suggestions.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3876.jpg
    IMG_3876.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 16
Oh, and my two cents about cleaning speaker grills...

I clean them inside out. In other words, wherever possible, the water flow and scrubbing occur on the side of the grill that faces the speaker rather than the side that faces out. In my experience the original knap comes back much more true this way.
 
baby shampoo

I was just thinking of trying baby shampoo. search found this thread. a pair of BA A200's jumped in the back of my truck yesterday afternoon. some slight staining on the bottom of one. with a white outline. they have plastic frames so in the tub they will go. before and after pics will follow.
 
Back
Top Bottom