• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Clearaudio Motor Speed question

ldmr888

New Member
I baught an used PBN Groovemaster TT running on a Clearaudio motor and VPI HR-X platter. It is driven by a Pro-ject Speedbox SE. The seller told me I need to set the reading on the Pro-ject Speedbox to 35 for 33.3rpm, and 47.1 for 45rpm lps. I asked him why, he said it is due to the diameter of the VPI HR-X platter is different (bigger?) to the Pro-ject tt platters. I listen to my lps at both speed, and believe it is correct setting. Does anyone here have the same experience with speedbox and platter/motor from different manufactures? Is this normal? In my case, if I upgrade the speedbox to VPI SDS or Clearaudio Syncro in future, should I use their normal settings at 33.3/45 rpms? Thanks for your advices.

David [/b]
 
Register to hide this ad
Platters do come in different sizes, so yes, it can be normal to use different settings for different platters.

If you change to an SDS or Syncro, you will need to get a strobe disc to check speed. Fortunately, there are any number of strobes that you can download for free and print at home. Check Vinylengine for a good one.

BTW, the SDS does not set speed, per se, but rather the frequency of the electricity going to the TT's motor. The settings used will vary depending on the platter diameter and the mains power voltage and frequency.
 
Back
Top Bottom