• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Coax or Toslink AND USB Input Question

What is your budget for the disc player?

Do you need the DAC to do DSD?
Hmm... that's a good question. I currently don't subscribe to any streaming music services, (which if you'll forgive my ignorance, is I believe where I'd encounter DSD streaming), however I can't say that I won't at some point. I think it's going to be one of those features where IF I can have it within my budget, without sacrificing any sound quality in the process, then great. If not then I guess at least for the moment, I won't miss it.
Having said that, if I'm wrong about where I'd encounter DSD, then please let me know.
 
I have a number of DSD files that I downloaded, store locally and frequently play. My modest Topping D-10 does PCM to 24/192 and DSD to 256. Most CD/DVD/Blu-ray players do not output a DSD signal. An analog conversion is all you'll get from them. I have two SACD players. Both will only output analog converted SACD files.
 
I have a number of DSD files that I downloaded, store locally and frequently play. My modest Topping D-10 does PCM to 24/192 and DSD to 256. Most CD/DVD/Blu-ray players do not output a DSD signal. An analog conversion is all you'll get from them. I have two SACD players. Both will only output analog converted SACD files.
Ah, so DSD isn't necessarily just for streaming then. Fair enough. Thanks for the info @JoeESP9. I'll keep that in mind.
 
PJ: Just in case you'd find a nice DAC without DSD support, you'd like to buy, there still is Tascam's free "Hi-Res Editor" sorftware for both Windows and MacOS, which can convert DSD files (.dsf/.dff) to PCM (.wav).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
PJ: Just in case you'd find a nice DAC without DSD support, you'd like to buy, there still is Tascam's free "Hi-Res Editor" sorftware for both Windows and MacOS, which can convert DSD files (.dsf/.dff) to PCM (.wav).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
Hi Manfred, that's fantastic. Thanks for the heads up. I imagine that could come in very useful at some point. :)
 
@PJuddery .. it's fairly new and when I purchased it the only review I found was on ASR. Of course, the DAC reviews on that site are measurement oriented. I was curious about these inexpensive DACs so I bought one. I wasn't disappointed.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/smsl-su-6-review-desktop-dac.28402/
After looking up reviews, of which there are more now, it does seem likw a winner to me, so thank you. This is definitely at the very top of my list and probably the one I'll buy.
 
I recently has a similar need and bought a SMSL Sanskrit 10th MK II DAC. It has a remote that lets you switch between inputs. It has coax, optical and micro USB inputs. It takes separate power from a second micro USB. I haven't used it a lot yet, but out of the gate, I think it sounds good. It has a 6 different filters that theoretically can change the sound. I have tested it with iPhone using their USB to lightning connector and a WiiM mini (optical).
 
I recently has a similar need and bought a SMSL Sanskrit 10th MK II DAC. It has a remote that lets you switch between inputs. It has coax, optical and micro USB inputs. It takes separate power from a second micro USB. I haven't used it a lot yet, but out of the gate, I think it sounds good. It has a 6 different filters that theoretically can change the sound. I have tested it with iPhone using their USB to lightning connector and a WiiM mini (optical).
Thanks uofmtiger, I'll take a look at that one as well.
 
Thanks uofmtiger, I'll take a look at that one as well.

I mean... if you are looking at everything. Which is probably a good idea.

Look at Schiit too. Similar to the DACs mentioned above, they have a few near and below your price point, which would allow you to put those saved dollars, or quid, shillings?..., whatever you use in the UK, toward your disc spinner.
 
I mean... if you are looking at everything. Which is probably a good idea.

Look at Schiit too. Similar to the DACs mentioned above, they have a few near and below your price point, which would allow you to put those saved dollars, or quid, shillings?..., whatever you use in the UK, toward your disc spinner.
Thanks @Toblerone. I'll add that one to the list also. It's pounds over here, but we do often say quid instead. Not sure why now that I think about it, lol. There was a time when shillings were in use, but that was definitely before my time.
 
Thanks chicks. That does look like a pretty sweet DAC and the auto switching does sound really useful. If only it wasn't about £1k beyond my currently affordable price range. :eek:

Then I'd suggest the FiiO K5 Pro ESS. For the equivalent of about $200 (ok, probably a little more in the UK with all those hefty taxes you have to contribute) you get three digital inputs (USB, SPDIF and optical) selectable via a toggle on the front panel, plus analog LI-LO RCA's and a surprisingly good headphone amp although the unit is meant to be DAC centered around the ESS9038Q2M chip first, HPA second judging by the size of the PCB's devoted to each inside. It is larger than your Topping but still manageable. Body is thick, solid aluminum on all sides, very sturdy. Toggles appear to be either steel or cast aluminum, hard to say. Headphone jack on the front panel is full-size 6.3mm. There is also a 3-position toggle for gain on the front panel but it only works for the HPA, all other things being neutral like any decent DAC ought'ta should. Gets the job done, efficiently.
shopping
 
Then I'd suggest the FiiO K5 Pro ESS. For the equivalent of about $200 (ok, probably a little more in the UK with all those hefty taxes you have to contribute) you get three digital inputs (USB, SPDIF and optical) selectable via a toggle on the front panel, plus analog LI-LO RCA's and a surprisingly good headphone amp although the unit is meant to be DAC centered around the ESS9038Q2M chip first, HPA second judging by the size of the PCB's devoted to each inside. It is larger than your Topping but still manageable. Body is thick, solid aluminum on all sides, very sturdy. Toggles appear to be either steel or cast aluminum, hard to say. Headphone jack on the front panel is full-size 6.3mm. There is also a 3-position toggle for gain on the front panel but it only works for the HPA, all other things being neutral like any decent DAC ought'ta should. Gets the job done, efficiently.
shopping
Thanks for the suggestion @Caveman Carl. I'll check that one out too. I'm starting to get quite a good list of possibilities here now, which is going to be really useful if I have difficulty getting one or another DAC here in the UK and also gives me lots of options to find one that I really gel with.
 
Back
Top Bottom