• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Comments on Acoustic Research AR77XB

Tucker99

Super Member
I am looking at picking up an Acoustic Research AR77XB

It will be in need of a re-hab, tho

Any thoughts on this particular model??

Is it worth the effort??

Does this model use a standard (i.e. Technics, SME) headshell or is it a proprietary size?

Thanks gang... appreciate the assistance.
 
Register to hide this ad
None of the older ARs use a standard headshell. There's not a lot of differences between this model and the previous XB and the same restoration issues and solutions will apply.
 
While I can’t give advice on this model, as I don’t own one, I do know that the headshell on the AR tonearm is specific to the AR. There is plenty of talk on various vinyl forums about it, including this one here http://mail.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=267932 , which discusses the measurements of the headshell. Apparently they are very fragile, and when screwing the collar up to lock them to the tonearm, you have to be very careful, or something in them breaks!
 
I have an AR XB 77. Internally, it is very similar to the original XB. Cosmetically, the XB 77 uses more plastic than the XB did, but the look isn't radically different. The counterweight on the XB 77 arm is smaller than that of the XB's arm (the headshell is also of a somewhat different design, though it uses the same fragile mounting type as the XA/XB). Hope this helps.
-Adam
 
Back
Top Bottom