• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Common Antenna for AM & FM?

baneste

Active Member
I have a Magnum Dynalab ST-2 whip-style antenna mounted in my attic. I am currently using it for FM reception only. The manufacturer says the antenna is also good for AM reception as well. The antenna uses coax cable connections. The manual for it makes no mention of how to properly use this antenna for AM reception. Two questions:

1. May I use this antenna for BOTH AM and FM reception or would I need two separate antennae with one dedicated to each band?

2. If I can use one antenna for both AM and FM, what is the proper way to connect it to the AM and FM connectors on my tuner? Should I split the RG 59 cable and run one split to the FM terminal and the other through a balun to connect to the AM terminal?

BTW, I realize a longwire or loop antenna is better for AM, but it would really be handy to be able to use this (or at least the same) antenna for both because of difficulty in getting a second lead from my tuner's location to the attic of my home. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
 
Register to hide this ad
I'll have to admit I am not familar with that antenna model. It goes against my principals to pay anything more for an AM antenna than just bell wire. If I were in your shoes knowing nothing more than I know now about your situation, location and the construction of your home I would suggest the following:

At the receiver disconnect the antenna cable from the tuner and splice one end of a 30 foot piece of bell wire to the antenna cable. While a friend helps guide the wire and the splice through the hole in the wall, go up to the attic and pull the antenna cable up the wall. Keep pulling antenna wire just until the bell wire emerges. Take the antenna cable loose, tie the end of the bell wire to anything and go back down to the living area with the antenna cable. Have your friend hang on to the end of the cable, along with the bell wire. Attach the other end of the cable to the middle of the bell wire right there where it goes through the wall. Go back to the attic and pull bell wire until the antenna cable emerges. Now you have both an FM cable AND AM antenna and you don't have to hassle with splitters, and the like. Run the bell wire far and wide throughout the attic stapling to the rafters as you go.

Of course, the above won't work if the antenna cable has been stapled to the framing within the walls. But if you succeed, the bell wire should blow away any fancy "antenna" for performance on AM (not to mention shortwave...).
Brian
 
Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately, the FM cable is firmly anchored and can't be pulled. I have, however, now tried the Magnum Dynalab ST-2 for AM using a split of the 75 ohm cable to a 75Ohm to 300 ohm converter to the AM terminals via 16 guage copper zipcord wires. The reception was noticably less good than using a conventional AM loop antenna. Tried it next using a 75 ohm cablle from the splitter to the AM antenna terminals. That seemed to work better, but it was still inferior to the loop antenna. Just for grins, I ran a 30 foot wire at ground level and it worked about as well as the loop antenna. I then took a roll of bell wire and ran it up to the attic on a temporary basis (just draping the wire through the house) and then ran it along the length of the peak line of the roof. You weren't kidding. This was much better than the loop antenna. I was amazed. Got to figure out how to run a wire up to the attic. Thanks again for the suggestion.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom