• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Company mandated health screening

75Center

Super Member
Mr. Center has to complete a very personal and detailed health history and take some blood tests for his job. If he doesn't comply, he has to pay $25 more per month for his health insurance.

Mr. Center had cancer 3 years ago. He would have to disclose this info. A recent check up at his cancer doctor shows more treatment may be needed.

I am freaked out by all of this. I am afraid if he completes the health questionnaire - they'll find a way to get rid of him. I'm afraid if he doesn't comply, it will be a big red flag to them. He is on a year to year contract. If he loses his job, getting affordable health insurance again will be nearly impossible. Paying for cancer treatment out of pocket is a nightmare I don't even want to contemplate.

Have any of you faced this? Does the health insurance company give the employer specific results for each employee?
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
That sounds illegal to me. Maybe if they recently changed health insurance carriers I might be able to see it bet even then I have my doubts.
 
I would seek trusted legal counsel and/or pay the monthly premium...insurance companies are out for themselves, not their subscribers...expect no quarter from them, or a firm looking to trim costs, which would be all of them
 
I bet that's illegal too. You should look into it online for the laws in your state, since most states have specific laws. But be open-minded too, it "might" not be a bad idea to just pay the extra $25 a month, as opposed to the alternatives. :scratch2:
 
Pretty sure your privacy is protected. Perhaps you're looking at this jadedly. I struggle with this too. Look at this a $25 discount for participating in their wellness program. Either way you should be able to find out and decide accordingly.
 
Group policy is very different then going it on on your own.

If you are part of a group policy from your employer, then the insurance company has to take the good with the bad -- its part of what protects them and you.

Be forward -- issue your concerns while complying and this will be adequate ammo, just in case. Don't be a victim.

dew.
 
Have any of you faced this? Does the health insurance company give the employer specific results for each employee?

HIPAA says they cannot disclose anything to your employer. In fact, no employee in the insurance company can look at your records unless it is a requirement of their job. And there is auditing. If anyone is caught, it's grounds for immediate termination. For instance, even if employee A's job requires that he has access to medical claims for patient C, if he looks up information for patient C that he does not explicitly need to fulfill his job function, he is in violation.

Remember the people who got fired for looking up records on "Octomom?"

HIPAA applies at the Federal level, however some regulations vary from state to state.

I am no longer in the industry, but I spent 6 or 7 years in healthcare IT.

I am not a lawyer, and this does not constitute legal advice.
 
Last edited:
Thanks everyone - I appreciate your comments. PickyEars - yes the insurance company is providing the questionnaire.

I worked in medical records and wrote a HIPAA manual. I'm familiar with the laws. But I have also seen violation after violation after violation because people don't always follow the laws.

Years ago I worked in a hospital and the CEO and CFO came to me for a meeting. I had a long term employee with lung cancer. They told me to fire her because she was costing the facility too much with her insurance/medical bills. I refused and they made my life so miserable I finally quit and found another job. But my employee kept her job until the day she died.
 
You guys are missing the main hiccup.

75Center said he was on year-to-year. All this hype about what is or isn't legal, moral, etc. is moot. If he pi$$es them off, he's unemployed. They're looking for the PROPER way to continue insurance with the fewest flags.

I'm in the same situation with my own private insurance. Since my bypass surgery, I'm basically stuck with my $1000/ month, $7500 deductible health insurance.
 
As a commercial driver I have to have a very complete physical every 2 years to keep my job. A little bump in the blood pressure cause the doc got a new nurse and I can be on a temp med certificate with a second physical in a couple months.
 
Pay the extra $25 and keep your record clean! God forbid a cancer history in your family gets into any database... You'll pay dearly later on, and could even get fired if your company's insurer does a "housecleaning" of risky employees.

Charles
 
As a commercial driver I have to have a very complete physical every 2 years to keep my job. A little bump in the blood pressure cause the doc got a new nurse and I can be on a temp med certificate with a second physical in a couple months.

Hi Darcy!

As a retired commerical driver, Mark is correct. I pray all will be well for him & like kx stated pay the fee to keep his record clean.

Some companies are looking for RED FLAGS these days.

Rome
 
Last edited:
My wife and I both worked for the same company until I retired, and she is still working there, so now I am the "spouse" on her insurance.

Our employer changed insurance companies two years ago, and both the former and the current insurance company has the exact same policy that you are describing...you must complete an annual health assessment questionnaire, or else pay a slightly higher monthly premium. All of the members of our family have one or another kind of medical issues, and all of those issues were fully described in our questionnaires. There have been zero repercussions of any kind. The insurance companies are trying to reduce costs by making employees more aware of health and lifestyle issues, and to take action to be more healthy.

However, the fact that your husband is on an annual employment contract is an understandable concern to you. I would offer a few thoughts, with the full disclosure that I am no expert on any of this.

As has been mentioned, for your insurance company to share any details of your or your husband's medical history with your employer is a very serious violation of federal laws. That doesn't mean it can't happen, obviously, but I think it's safe to assume that it probably won't. I assume that also means they will not share with your husband's employer the fact that he did not take the questionnaire, should that be your decision.

For you to deliberately withhold material information about your health from your medical insurance company also can have very serious repercussions. You would be giving them reasons to cancel your insurance due to fraudulent statements being made by you. For that reason, if you choose to answer the questionnaire, be accurate and complete.

Or, you can choose to not answer the questionnaire and simply pay the additional $25/mo. It might be a small amount to pay for a little peace of mind. Also, it would probably not be a bad idea to simply call your medical insurance company and just ask them the question: "How much, if any, of my husband's and my medical information is shared with his employer?".

Based on how honest and forthcoming you feel their answers are, that might make it easier for you to make a decision on the questionnaire.
 
Thanks for the input guys. I know we must be truthful on the form. I always try to be truthful on everything, as I don't want to have to "remember what I said". It just isn't worth it.

I also know it is my history with my former employer who wanted me to fire an employee that had cancer that makes me extremely nervous.
 
Thanks for the input guys. I know we must be truthful on the form. I always try to be truthful on everything, as I don't want to have to "remember what I said". It just isn't worth it.

I also know it is my history with my former employer who wanted me to fire an employee that had cancer that makes me extremely nervous.

hence, you know the potentially cold, hard, and ruthless decisions that are often made in secret, behind closed corportate doors. I sat in a meeting with the owners of a construction firm I worked for for nearly two decades, and listened to one of the younger owners float the idea of culling out all workers over 45 to bring down insurance costs. I was 51 at the time. I'm like you...don't even try to tell me it doesn't happen
 
If you don't disclose your family medical history, and your previous medical history, then you are depriving the doctor you see every year of their best tool to providing you good healthcare.

If you think your company might want to fire you because you have had cancer, imagine their defense when they lay you off over concerns that you did not disclose a previous history of cancer.

{On the stand} Your honor, the former employee never stated a history of cancer, so we had no idea he was in remission/had concerns of reoccurrence/had health issues. That is a free ticket for the company.

By disclosing, you enable your doctor conducting the physical to make an informed, biased analysis to your medical favor, and you make the medical facility carry the onus of nondisclosure as mandated by HPPA. That is the best of both worlds.
 
Back
Top Bottom