• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

compare Advent Walnuts and Polk 7 Monitor II series

ccawker

Active Member
i have the Advents and my brother wants to trade me his Polks,love the sound of both....neither play hard rock music but heavy on the jazzy blues and Pink Floydish material.I just want opinions from you all.stereo (1).JPG
 
Register to hide this ad
Since he is your brother, why not trade with the caveat that you can both exchange back when you get bored.
 
Since he is your brother, why not trade with the caveat that you can both exchange back when you get bored.
I dont think so as he was the original owner of the Advents(bought in 1977,i think),but i had some 7s before and found i could push them a little more with tighter bass,so its maybe a win win on both sides,but i would like to know why one would be better than the other(looking for friendly arguments,i guess)
 
Our opinions shouldn't matter. Which ones sound best to you? Maybe you can get your brother to bring over his Polk's so you can A / B them together before deciding.
yeah,i am doing it as the Advent lows sound better at a lower volume but i tend to play my contemporary jazz and blues a little louder,also i like the highs better on the Polks
 
I have a restored set of OLA's and I agree with them being good for blues and jazz. For a time I didn't like them. I couldn't understand why they were so thin sounding. Then one day I noticed my my amp was set to triode mode instead of pentode. For rock music I still like my Imperial 6's. The OLA's do sound good at lower volumes.
 
I have both. If I could only keep one I'd keep the Polks. Better detail, better bass. The Advents I bought for $4 some time ago and I went through the crossovers and re-foamed the woofers. They aren't bad but the Polks are noticeably better to my ears. The Polks also paired up better with a variety of amps. Bought the Polks around 1990, new, for a bit more than $4.:)
 
Hmm, I saw these speakers on craigslist. Did you refoam them or did someone else?
oh,it looks like you mean the Advents....i had Midwest do them 5 or 6 years ago...i have had these(from my brother)over 30 years.now he says to just sell them,not sure if i want to but want to get rid of the amp also and figure it might be easier to bundle,i think he is moving to Klipsch.
 
I have the Advent OLA. It's exactly what everyone has said it is. As good as it is I wouldn't have it as my only speakers. I would keep them none the less.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom