• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Computer Start Up Help

Edriz

AK Member
When my daughter starts up her computer, everything possible starts poping up from Instant Messenger, AOL, AIM, etc.

I know there is a way to disable all this stuff from starting up on start up of the computer but for the life of me, I can't remember how to do it. Does any one here know how to do that can give me direction. She has Windows XP with a Pentium 4.

Thanks alot, it would be a really big help

Ed
 
Register to hide this ad
The best thing is to uninstall the programs you don't want.

Beyond that, the second best way is to use a program called Startup Control Panel.

Some will use and recommend msconfig, but I've seen recommendations not to use that to permanently disable startup items.
 
Click start button
then help and support
then performance and maint.
then tools
then system config. utility
then to the side you will see open system config. utility
A box with tabs at the top will open.
click the start up tab.
click dissable all.
Then allow and OK.
Then yes on reboot.
All programs running in the back ground will be shut down.
 
A program that I really like is ccleaner (Crap Cleaner).

This will not only let you control your start-up apps, but clean out the un-necessary garbage cluttering up your hard drive and the registry.

Another on my must have list is Super Anti-Spyware (I know the name alone makes it sound suspicious). I've used this to eradicate the now famous Anti-Virus 200* that is spreading about.

Both are available for free!

Kevin
 
Be careful about messing with the registry. I'm just sayin...

Jimfet's advice is right on.
 
You really don't want to use msconfig to perminantly remove items on startup

You can click Start, All Programs, Startup, and right click on any items in there you don't want, and select Delete. It will only delete them starting up, not the program itself.

I'm NOT going to agree with jimfet on DISABLING ALL... Some programs are needed to be started. You can however de-select the items you don't want to run. Some programs in there could be related to any touchpads, sound cards, wireless software and such. Be sure you know what you are disabling.
 
Last edited:
as others have said...some of this is a bit of sledgehammer approach when a light touch is all that is needed...similost has the right idea...but before even going that far,simply check the options carefully for the offending programs..with these type of programs there is OFTEN an option to simply disable them starting automatically on startup...tho that is almost never the default setting
 
She doesn't want to permenently remove them just not have them all open up when the computer is booting up and windows is opening.
 
Startup will not shut down any soundcards, touch pads, keyboards etc. That is hard ware not programs to do that you have to disable them in the services tab right beside the start up tab. I have been doing this for about 8 years now. Your PC will be at least twice as fast. All your hardware will run without the programs. I charge good money to do this for people. Here it is for free.
 
Actually, in the services, you can just change it from automatic startup to manual. Just look close at it, & make sure not to get carried away. Changing the wrong things in there can definitely mess up your OS.
 
A program that I really like is ccleaner (Crap Cleaner).

This will not only let you control your start-up apps, but clean out the un-necessary garbage cluttering up your hard drive and the registry.

Another on my must have list is Super Anti-Spyware (I know the name alone makes it sound suspicious). I've used this to eradicate the now famous Anti-Virus 200* that is spreading about.

Both are available for free!

Kevin

Nah, for that I use Spybot and for years I've used AVG anti-virus, the free version. Never had a virus, ever!! All I'm trying to do is stop all the stuff she has opening up on start up. I don't want to delete any of them. She uses all that junk. She can have icons on her desktop she can click.

Opening a bunch of junk on start up takes up too much memory and slows the boot up.
 
wrong jim... my laptop has advanced software for the touchpad for advanced features that if disabled would piss me off. my wireless is controled by third party software, and not windows. this will stop my wireless from working unless I went in and manually re-enabled windows wireless control.

people may have other thigs runing they want. like at work I have hundreds of passwords to remember, so I want my pass vault software running on start. many people have programs they don't want killed. some being hardware controls, others being useful programs. no need to kill everything, and some cases it will remove needed features.
 
just to add. I am a sys admin and systems support by day. I work on and clean many computers for a living. if I had a user bring in a pc and I killed all their startup apps as part my my routine, I would have lots of pissed users and probably no job if I continued to do that.
 
Jim and Simi - You guys are the experts - is $100 per hour the going rate for in-home computer help?
 
I did the msconfig, as soon as I saw that it click in me simple mind. Once I saw it I said yeah!. I unchecked all those messengers. She can use the icons to open them.

Once I went back to General Tab I noticed a few buttons for Start Up One was Normal Start Up another was Selective start up. There was another which i don't remember but hers was set at Selective Start up. I would think that it should be checked at Normal State Up, wouldn't it?

I just answered my own question. In Normal start up, all that garbage she has will open on start up. Once I uncheck all those damn messengers she has the Selective Start Up automatically checks itself. I am the one choosing the "Selective" Part of the Start Up, DUH!!

Thanks for the help Guys. It was the msconfig I was looking for. I have done this many times before but it seems I can never remember ever time I have to do it.
 
Last edited:
Many advanced hardware functionalities require their applets to start with the PC -- sound cards, keyboard function buttons, lots of HP advanced AIO printer technology, various wireless cards, etc. To willy nilly disable things you don't recognize is irresponsible. It will seem all good until five days later you find something is no longer working like it should. The obvious toolbars, messenger, chat programs and the like have no real purpose at start up.

Trust me, I know - I charge good money for this, and somehow that makes me an authority!

dew.
 
Last edited:
Each one of those apps have the facilities to turn them off...just open the program...and clik on properties or options.....then find the place where it askes if you want to run it at start-up... just unclik it ...or un-check it...

I wish I could go into more detail here...but its hard to say in text... I would need to show you... Its reely easy!... just takes a little time to do ...no big deal...
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom