• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Concept 2.0 find at Salvation Army

SpeakerLabFan

< speakerlab 7's
I spotted this beauty on the shelf last night about 20 minutes before the closing time - lights work, looked good. Took it to the counter and paid the $10. Another excellent Concept receiver for the collection. :banana::music:

IMAGE_01030.jpg

IMAGE_01031.jpg


There is a little fade/wear on the Concept 2.0 lettering on the faceplate and some light scratches in the veneer on the top of the case, but overall pretty good shape once I clean it up. Geez for 20 WPC, that thing sounds clean and powerful. It was blasting my living room at 50% and 75%, no clipping and not anemic at all like other BOTL receivers. Built like a tank too. I did have to give it a deoxit bath to fix weakness in left channel but that was it. I’ve now got 5 of the Concept receivers (11.0, 6.5, 5.5, 3.5, 2.0) and a tape deck. Don’t think I’ll find a 16.5 but you never know, maybe some Estate sale will be at the home of a guy who's been playing some Mantovani with one, that's what makes the hunt so interesting. :thmbsp::music:
 
Register to hide this ad
Congrats! What I like about the BOTL 2.0 and 2.5 is Concept put the same build quality as found in the 16.5.
 
Thanks. I agree - each of the Concepts appear to have the same build quality - everything is very similar, just different scale from BOTL up.

I noticed a logo on one of the caps when I took off the case said something like "Concept laboratory tested quality" - it looked very cool and convincing after hearing these receivers. I'll try to get a picture next time I pull the cover.
 
Nice pickup! I still haven't had the pleasure of hearing a Concept yet as John hasn't finished the repairs on my 11.0. No hurry though because I need to clear some space.

Congrats.
 
Yes, nice score. Talk about being at the right place at the right time! And the price! My local thrift would have easily put $40 on that.
 
Thanks. I agree - each of the Concepts appear to have the same build quality - everything is very similar, just different scale from BOTL up.

The faceplate is the same thickness, the knobs, buttons, and LED indicators are the same. The tuner knob assembly including the weight are the same so the tuner action feels the same as in the 16.5. No skimping here!
 
Yes, nice score. Talk about being at the right place at the right time! And the price! My local thrift would have easily put $40 on that.

Thanks. I hadn't been in that store for a couple of days, and I have a feeling that receiver sat on the shelf for a couple of days (price tag wasn't dated so I don't know for sure). If you don't know the Concept brand, you might keep walking and let it sit along with that silver MCS tuner that's been there since December.

Curious, does the 2.0 have discrete outputs? To my knowledge, the 2.5 is the only one with modules.

:scratch2: Do you mean pre-amp / amp outs on the back? Don't remember, Not at home, will have to check later.

...One thing that bugs me about Concepts is that they don't have an AUX on the selector, so it's a PITA if you want to hookup a CDP, RtR, and Cassette Deck all to the receiver. I used a Radio Shack AUX extender when I was using the 6.5 in my bedroom system.
 
Congrats on that 2.0 - I can't wait to get mine fixed now.
I’ve now got 5 of the Concept receivers (11.0, 6.5, 5.5, 3.5, 2.0)
You must be on of the most proliferate Concept owners in the universe - Vintagestereo, SoCal Sam, Torrus all have nice collections, too: Fill in with a few D-series and that Big Boy 16.5, and you are pretty much there.

I seem to be missing the serial numbers off your 5.5 and the new 2.0 in the database. Thanks.
 
They are the devices attached to the heatsink. Discretes are round metal with flanges while modules are square and sometimes plastic.

Ok, thanks - will take a look.

Your tenacity has paid off once again, Sailor!

LOL. Hey I'm lucky to have four or five thrifts within a few miles of me, and on the route home from work.

I seem to be missing the serial numbers off your 5.5 and the new 2.0 in the database. Thanks.

Thanks NN. I'll take a look, I got the 5.5 from Spaceman a couple of weeks ago, a great AKr sharing the karma... :thmbsp: So that one might already be in the database. I'll check and get those numbers for you. thanks.
 
Concept 2.0 - pictures w/ the cover off

IMAGE_01043.jpg

IMAGE_01044.jpg

IMAGE_01045.jpg


Sorry about the poor quality pics from my 1.3 megapixel mobile phone. The text on the 3rd picture is kind of cool, (anyone seen this label on other Concepts?):

Concept 2.0
Laboratory-accurate stereo receiver
Developed for precise musical definition
Separately bench-tested for integrity of design

:banana::banana::banana:
 
I's be careful running that little guy full tilt. It is the only receiver I have had that has killed speakers. It killed one of my Hersey woofers. I had it going at a good gallop and it over extended the driver and it now bottoms out. Just a warning, I don't think the 2.0 has enough damping to control a large woofer at high volume. At low volume it is fine.
 
I's be careful running that little guy full tilt. It is the only receiver I have had that has killed speakers. It killed one of my Hersey woofers. I had it going at a good gallop and it over extended the driver and it now bottoms out. Just a warning, I don't think the 2.0 has enough damping to control a large woofer at high volume. At low volume it is fine.

Thanks for the tip - probably won't be a problem because half volume is plenty loud for me. I was just checking out the receiver's output at 1/2 and 3/4's and I was suprised at how nice. I used a pair of Celestion 3-ways which sound great but aren't super-efficient, certainly not as efficient as Heresys - I doubt I could stay in the room at 3/4 volume with Heresys. :D
 
I's be careful running that little guy full tilt. It is the only receiver I have had that has killed speakers. It killed one of my Hersey woofers. I had it going at a good gallop and it over extended the driver and it now bottoms out. Just a warning, I don't think the 2.0 has enough damping to control a large woofer at high volume. At low volume it is fine.

I don't think you can lay the blame on your 2.0. Amps in the 20 wpc class will clip when driven at high volume.
 
Yes, nice score. Talk about being at the right place at the right time! And the price! My local thrift would have easily put $40 on that.

Just passed on one today at the GW - they wanted $35 :no: Had some fun hooking them up to the KLH-24's that I passed on yesterday, which already have a deep scratch all the way across one side; they were almost perfect yesterday :sigh: Wish I could save all these classics, they just get destroyed at the GW...
 
I spotted this beauty on the shelf last night about 20 minutes before the closing time - lights work, looked good. Took it to the counter and paid the $10. Another excellent Concept receiver for the collection. :banana::music:

IMAGE_01030.jpg

IMAGE_01031.jpg


There is a little fade/wear on the Concept 2.0 lettering on the faceplate and some light scratches in the veneer on the top of the case, but overall pretty good shape once I clean it up. Geez for 20 WPC, that thing sounds clean and powerful. It was blasting my living room at 50% and 75%, no clipping and not anemic at all like other BOTL receivers. Built like a tank too. I did have to give it a deoxit bath to fix weakness in left channel but that was it. I’ve now got 5 of the Concept receivers (11.0, 6.5, 5.5, 3.5, 2.0) and a tape deck. Don’t think I’ll find a 16.5 but you never know, maybe some Estate sale will be at the home of a guy who's been playing some Mantovani with one, that's what makes the hunt so interesting. :thmbsp::music:
This is a really old thread, but i would be super curious which of the concepts you own is your favorite, for sound quality, and how much difference there is between the lower and upper/ earlier and later models, both with power and sound signature.
 
Back
Top Bottom