• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Connecting 2 Toslink Optical components to 1 DAC

jbpollock

Well-Known Member
I am currently using a DAC that has one optical input and one digital coax input. They are not switchable; the DAC locks on to whichever is on first.

I am looking for recommendations for hooking 2 optical devices to this DAC. I would rather have the inconvenience of switching the wires manually than suffering any fidelity loss, however.

I have looked at toslink switches online, but the ones I have seen are pretty cheap and I am hesitant to buy without a personal recommendation. I have also considered an optical to coax converter to use the second input on the DAC. However, i have read that these are always active which would keep the DAC from ever switching.

Help?
 
Register to hide this ad
Also, I don't want to spend a ton of money on this because the other solution is to buy a new Blu-ray player with a coax out or a Dacmagic or similar with multiple inputs.
 
As far as I remember, the TOSlink output is always live when the player is on. There's no optical switches that I know of. M-Audio makes a CO2 optical/electrical, electrical/optical converter. You could use that and plug in to the copper digital input with one player. It might be more than you want to spend, though? ~$100
 
As far as I remember, the TOSlink output is always live when the player is on. There's no optical switches that I know of. M-Audio makes a CO2 optical/electrical, electrical/optical converter. You could use that and plug in to the copper digital input with one player. It might be more than you want to spend, though? ~$100

The M-Audio is one I researched that indicated that it was always active, which makes me think that its sending a signal even if the attached component is off. But I really have no idea???
 
I know that the CO2 does not send out S/PDIF framed data if it is not fed by real data. It just has a data driver IC inside that takes a copper or input and drives a copper output and a TOSlink transmitter.

If there are cheap O-E solutions out there, go for it. The DAC's receiver is very tolerant of jitter by way of a PLL. After the data is buffered, it is clocked out by a clock that is not impacted by the incoming jitter. It is re-timed.
 
fortunately with digital signals there is not going to be any real loss of quality, its digital
the data will either arrive the way it was sent or it wont arrive at all, in which case you would hear all kinds of odd pinging and squawking noises
you will know when youve got a crap digital signal, the sounds it produces are very distinct...

cheap switch should work just fine
 
Back
Top Bottom