• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Connecting Male RCA to Male 3.5mm

bigkurts

New Member
Hello,

I got myself a record deck to play some old vinyl but the speakers I have only have a 3.5mm jack but my record player has RCA male output.

I tried a combination of male to female socket for the 3.5mm combined with a RCA to 3.5m male cable but its not working.

Would you expect this to work? Is there anything else I can do or any solutions are welcome.

The record deck has a built in amp so it can just plug and play.

Cheers
 
Register to hide this ad
If I'm reading your post correctly, you purchased a turntable that has a built-phono preamp. That's provided so that you could plug it into the AUX inputs of a receiver that lacks a dedicated phono input. Most likely there's a switch or such that would take the preamp out of the circuit to use the turntable with a receiver having a phono input.

The output level of the built-in phono preamp is waaaaay to low to drive speakers...it needs to feed an addtional amp, then speakers. You mentioned speakers with a 3.5mm jack...are they powered or what?

One way to tackle this on a budget is use a pair of powered computer speakers til you get a proper amp or receiver to use. You'll need a patch cord with a 3.5 mm stereo female jack (to plug the speakers into) and a pair of female RCA jacks on the other end...to plug in the turntable. All you'll have is volume control...but it would be a quick n' easy way to spin some vinyl!

Oh...and welcome to AK!
 
Thanks, John

"One way to tackle this on a budget is use a pair of powered computer speakers til you get a proper amp or receiver to use. You'll need a patch cord with a 3.5 mm stereo female jack (to plug the speakers into) and a pair of female RCA jacks on the other end...to plug in the turntable. All you'll have is volume control...but it would be a quick n' easy way to spin some vinyl!"

That is exactly what I have done so I should hearing music then. Strange could be looking at something faulty then.

Cheers
 
are you converting stereo to mono instead of stereo to stereo ? or is there a switch on turntable for the preamp out ? any chance of any pictures ?
 
solved!

I borrowed the RCA plug off a mate. swapped it for a new one and problem solved looks like his was goosed. sorry guys the least interesting topic ever.

thanks for the help, no doubt hear from me when I upgrade.

Nice one, Kurt
 
Glad you have tunes now, Kurt! What kind of TT are you running...amp/receiver...speakers? Inquiring minds would like to know:)
 
Back
Top Bottom