• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Connections to Revox A77 for recording.

WBCarson

New Member
Steve at JM Technical Arts refurbished my Revox A77.
Now its time to use it and i have read and confused myself to paranoia.
I want to start recording. First, i have a DVD player that plays SACD. I want to connect it up.
Do i need to go through a preamp first, like the one i use for my record player to boost the signal?
Do i than connect it to the Aux input on the Revox rather than the Mic?

Would these 2 questions apply to a tape deck as well?

I would like to monitor over my tube amp system as i record. I understand the Revox has an internal amp.
Does the Chan1 and 2 Output rather than Speaker bypass the internal amp?

Thank you!!

Will

So i have been playing around. Player is ran to the Aux Input. Output to the back of my Amp. Monitor dials set on Stereo and other set to Input (not IEC or NAB). Record dials on Aux and Aux. Meters working, adjusted the levels to just about touching the red. I can hear music.
Going to assume i can record? New tape i have is tails out so i know to rewind it to another reel.

Another question.....Balance. Turn it all the way to the right the right speaker much louder. I can still hear some music from the Left. Same with the Right. Turn knob all the way to the right, some music still from the Left.
This seem correct?
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Steve at JM Technical Arts refurbished my Revox A77.
Now its time to use it and i have read and confused myself to paranoia.
I want to start recording. First, i have a DVD player that plays SACD. I want to connect it up.
Do i need to go through a preamp first, like the one i use for my record player to boost the signal?
Do i than connect it to the Aux input on the Revox rather than the Mic?

Would these 2 questions apply to a tape deck as well?

I would like to monitor over my tube amp system as i record. I understand the Revox has an internal amp.
Does the Chan1 and 2 Output rather than Speaker bypass the internal amp?

Thank you!!

Will

So i have been playing around. Player is ran to the Aux Input. Output to the back of my Amp. Monitor dials set on Stereo and other set to Input (not IEC or NAB). Record dials on Aux and Aux. Meters working, adjusted the levels to just about touching the red. I can hear music.
Going to assume i can record? New tape i have is tails out so i know to rewind it to another reel.

Another question.....Balance. Turn it all the way to the right the right speaker much louder. I can still hear some music from the Left. Same with the Right. Turn knob all the way to the right, some music still from the Left.
This seem correct?

Connect your DVD output directly to A77 RCA input and A77 RCA output to your amplifier. Monitor source/tape through switch on A77. But better read OM first:

https://www.reeltoreel.nl/studer/Public/Products/Revox/Revox_A77/Manuals/Revox_A77_Op.pdf
 
Greetings from RojoLand!

"New tape i have is tails out so i know to rewind it to another reel." — A new tape is neither heads-out nor tails-out as it has no recording on it. Once you've recorded something on the tape, then tails-out matters only if your machine is a two-track (1/2-track) rather than a quarter-track rig. If the latter, there's no need to worry as the head of one side is the tail of the other. Tails-out storage is considered better for recordings that run only in one direction, such as 1/2-track stereo or four-track (quadraphonic); the risk of print-through can produce echoes on the tape, and when stored tails-out those echoes after after, not before, the originating sound.

Take care,
—
J. E. Knox "The Victor Freak"
 
Back
Top Bottom