• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG-3 Motor

CoolBenge

New Member
Hello All,
My first post. I have a Sonographe SG-3 Turntable that I really enjoy. I've noticed the motor with the belt removed has a certain amount of notchiness to it if I spin the motor by hand. It was ticking but I oiled the top part of the motor and the tick went away. Is this indicative of dried up lubrication or do you think the motor needs to be replaced? Can these be rebuilt?

Tim
 
Register to hide this ad
Iirc those use the same Hurst motor as the AR tables. Should be able to get a replacement, and use the AR threads to figure out what's up with yours. Vinyl nirvana has a bit of a write up on this table, and addresses the Hurst motors very well. Highly recommend.
 
I think that notchiness is typical of these motors. I'm more surprised that lubrication took it away than that it existed.
But what matters is whether there is any difference in the sound. If not (or if there is an improvement) I think you should congratulate yourself on preventative maintenance, and enjoy listening.
 
Hello All,
My first post. I have a Sonographe SG-3 Turntable that I really enjoy. I've noticed the motor with the belt removed has a certain amount of notchiness to it if I spin the motor by hand. It was ticking but I oiled the top part of the motor and the tick went away. Is this indicative of dried up lubrication or do you think the motor needs to be replaced? Can these be rebuilt?

Tim
That notchiness is normal. It's due to how the motor is wired up in the turntable (one leg is always powered, even when the deck is switched off). I have both the SG-3 and the AR "Legend" ... same motor and same behavior in each.
 
Back
Top Bottom