• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Considering getting a smoker and need some advice

BruceRPA

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
As the thread title says, I am considering getting a smoker but I would appreciate some advice from those that have experience with smokers. I have a decent grille and we use it all year long so I am quite comfortable with grilling a wide variety of things. I don't have any experience with smokers though.

I spotted what looks like it could be a decent smoker to get started with but without any experience with smokers, I don't want to make a mistake right out of the chute and set myself up for disappointment by making a poor choice. Here is what I spotted:
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/master...222222627000048349&veh=sem&mobiledetect=false

A few things that I have to consider:
As much as I would like to be able to get a wood-fired smoker (or grille), I just don't have a suitable space for one. There is that and the anticipated care and feeding of a long, slow-burning fire that I would have to contend with. The convenience and the ability to move and store a small, lightweight smoker is appealing to me. I am willing to settle for less than optimum performance with an electric smoker IF the concept of an electric is not a flawed concept from the start.

I have done some searching and reading of threads here on AK but not much elsewhere yet. I do see mentions of water bowls or reservoirs inside the cabinet. From that I have to believe that there must be a considerable amount of moisture present. For those that have one of these relatively inexpensive electric smokers, do you see signs of early cabinet or internal component failures as a result? What is a reasonable life expectancy?

If there are any other hot (HA! I made a pun!) tips or things that I should be looking for, I certainly will appreciate the heads-up from the experts.

Thanks in advance.
 
Register to hide this ad
Funny you should ask! I am smoking a small Boston Butt on my little Masterbuilt smoker right at this moment. This is the one I have.
I didn't really choose it, my old boss gave it to me, but I like it quite a lot. I don't do a ton of smoking, so this little one is nice, since I can just pick it up and put it back in the garage when I'm done. It seems to work really well. I have never had a problem with it. I do usually put some liquid in the pan. Wine or cider. It really doesn't have many parts that would fail. Just a heating element, and thermostat, probe thermometer, and a timer. I don't often use the thermometer, as I have a standalone one that has a wireless remote.
 
I do a ton of smoking also. I used to have a 50 gallon drum smoker with side-by fire box, but not anymore. I now use a normal 22" Webber charcoal grill, briquettes to one side, tin foil over the fire, meat on opposite side (indirect grilling). I use wood chips/hunks on the charcoal side a couple times during cooking, but I will admit temp control is hard. Overall I can do a 4 lb. brisket in 2 hours, nice smoke ring, and barked ends. So simple and easy.
 
I am a big fan of kamado grills/smokers. I own a Kamado Joe Classic Joe. It is the best grill/smoker that I have ever owned. Yes, they are a bit pricy, but with a little care it will last far longer than I do. There is a bit of a learning curve, but once you have the basics down it is a snap to use. Temperature control is EASY and I have done a 15 hrs brisket smoke with one load of charcoal, with plenty unburnt left to spare. It will smoke low and slow or get over 900 degrees F for searing steaks. Here's a few pics:

image_zpspyfahrcf.jpeg

image_zpsvi1n2uaf.jpeg

image_zpsoabouyy4.jpeg

image_zpsxykpwk8g.jpeg

image_zpsgrh2htle.jpeg
 
Those charcoal grilles and smokers look great. When it comes time for me to replace my current grille they will be contenders. At this point, I am limited to something smaller and easier to use than a charcoal fired smoker. While propane is not entirely out of the question, the convenience of an electric model sounds appealing to me. The question remains though, is a small electric smoker worthwhile? If the performance or reliability is poor, then I will be forced to either consider other alternatives or abandon the search.
 
I would also consider a drum style smoker if space is an issue. I'm using a UDS that I built after having to replace my stick burner and it continues to impress me. Mine will hold consistent temps for 10+ hours on one basket of lump and wood chunks. It's a good option if you're looking for something that uses real wood and is "set it and forget it". There's several companies that sell complete smokers, or if you're feeling adventurous, you could build your own.IMG_20160529_093145348_HDR.jpg
 
I like the electric versions because they're no-brainers. That said, though, the charcoal-based smokers are way more versatile since you can grill, bake and smoke
 
I am a big fan of the Webber Smokey Mountain.

I like mine too, and like it even better after I added an Auberins temp control. Can really stretch out a load of coal and holds steady, programmed temp pretty well. Still though, more work than something like a Cookshack, et al.

Previously i had a Brinkmann of similar general style to the WSM and tried an electric conversion (looked like a big oven element). But, it couldn't keep up if was cool out or if it was a little breezy. There was no insulation though, just the tin can so to speak.

One of the nicer electrics probably would be pretty convenient though.
 
Last edited:
Hey
I have a small electric cook shack smoker. Like the earlier posts said ,set it and forget it. It works ok for pork butts, Brisket, turkey, and chicken. But if you need to get in and spritz or sauce (ribs) they're kind of a pain. Also mine is too small for a full slab of ribs to fit ,so you end up cutting them into pieces. Not very good for presentation. Just saying. But they do hold great temperature and at low outside temperatures to boot. And no water pan needed. Very small foot print.
That barrel smoker sounded pretty impressive if it can hold a steady temp. For ten hours. Kamodo also have a huge folowing. But are out of my price range, but do look like a quality piece that will last forever and hold temp in cool weather.
I've heard good things about pellet smokers. The pellets could get expensive .
My thought on smokers are this they all work . You have to get out there and master them to get the results you want. If you can make them easier to hold a steady temp. (How many times do you have to feed the fire) You'll have better results. So if your not competing in bbq contests the electric , gas ,pellets. Could be a way to go.
Just some idle ramblings. Eric
 
Thanks everyone. I do appreciate all of the great information and advice.

At this point, I am inclined to go with the electric model that I mentioned in the OP. I have not made a final decision yet and I am still doing a lot of reading and research. If the electric model turns out to be the smoker that I start off with, I will still have hopes of getting a serious charcoal model sometime in the future. I have hopes and dreams of doing some extensive landscaping to build a patio with room for a built-in grille, smoker and fire pit.

One more thing, as helpful as Audio Karma has been so far, can you suggest your favorite AK-like website that I should be visiting? Again, I am quite comfortable with grilling. I don't have any experience with smokers. Then again, I could still learn some new things about grilling too.
 
I picked up a similar model to the one you're considering. I have a hard time getting smoke especially at lower temps.
However I also have the cold smoking attachment and that works great. I get even smoke at any temp with it.
https://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20070112-Smoking-Digital-Smokers/dp/B008DF6WWE
Unfortunately I haven't used mine as often as I wanted to this year so I'm not well experienced with it yet.
I want to try slow smoked fish when the weather cools down a bit more, also looking to do some jerky or sausage.
 
Last edited:
Wow! Thanks for those excellent tips! I will check Bbq-brethren.com tonight. and that cold smoking accessory looks great. The web page had a lot of other great info too.

Researching and learning about smokers makes me aware about how much I don't know about them. Its all new and exciting to me. It also helps to remind me about newbies that join AK and ask seemingly basic questions. We all have to start somewhere. Getting some help from those with experience, with some extra patience and understanding, sure goes a long way.

Thanks again! :thumbsup:
 
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/f/

Good luck with the smoker! There's a bit of a learning curve to start with but with an all digital unit, it may be set and forget. Took a look at a few videos on the unit you are looking at buying and it seems pretty impressive. Only uses a small amount of chips as well.

I use a smallish propane smoker which is pretty basic but does a good job and has had a lot of use. Smells great even when it's sitting on the porch unused!

Smoker1.jpg
 
It is somewhat sacrilegious but if all you want is consistently good smoked foods the best thing you can get is computerized electric smoker. you load up your favorite wood chips, pellets, or wafers. set the controller for what you are smoking turn it on and come back in 8-10-12+ hours for perfect rib's, brisket, poultry, sausage, etc. They have electric smokers that are controllable from a smart phone.
 
I have a Chargriller Pro grill with the optional side firebox. It works very well as a grill and as a smoker.
 
There is a side benefit you can do with a smoker. Setup the chimney with a larger cap, and a catch basin around the stack. You collection the condensate from the smoke that condenses on the cap and drips into the catch basin this is liquid smoke that has all fo the flavor of the wood you are using. You can use this to flavor BBQ sauces and other things needing a smoky flavor.

14XCawjTozCDVJ-Rmk_pF3Z1yvZwjGq1t6oXItbwsFQn4IcV961VgRAAUXcLBx1JGudrC5V3ryt1TvDe_vKGA25t1zU=w426-h240-n
 
Last edited:
I just got a tip that the smoker that I have my eye on will be going on an end-of-season sale at Sam's Club this Friday. They had four in stock yesterday. Unless something changes, we will be there Friday night to get one. You all have given me some great information to get prepared with. I really appreciate that. :bigok:

Even after the limited amount of research and reading that I have done so far, I appears that there are just as many opinions and conflicting absolutes about smoking as there are about audio gear and music right here at AK. Its no wonder that some of the websites seem so familiar. :biggrin:
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom