• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Considering TubeDAC-09

It's essentially a passive attenuator. Yes, if the source signal is low the output from the TubeDAC will be low. But that's not the purpose of the TubeDAC. Your amp will do the heavy lifting.
 
Roger that, thank you. Still a worthy unit with many usages, that's for sure.
 
Last edited:
• I found that the 09 in preamp mode is significantly better than the preamp in my Harman Kardon 3490, both tube and solid state outputs.
• I found a manual on the Pioneer VSX-D309, and it seems to me that you cannot bypass the Pioneer’s built-in preamp. However, I found that the DAC in the 09 is significantly better than both the DAC in my CDP (Sony) and the HK 3490, so the 09 still made a nice improvement in the sound. (Sony digital output to 09, 09 analogue output to HK)
• And then there is still the USB connection, which I found impressive even with MP3 files from the laptop.
• Most subwoofers are powered these days, so no need to buy a separate amp for the sub – you can connect it directly to one of the 09 outputs and use the other output for your amp/receiver. I would expect best results with the ss output for the sub, but experiment and have fun!
• I find that the output of the 09 is greater than my other source components, including the HK 3490 built in pre-amp. Helpful if you have a low signal source, e.g. an iPod.
• I believe the headphone jack is driven by a separate op amp. I find the headphone jack to be inferior sounding to the tube and SS outputs at the back of the 09. You will need a RCA > headphone jack attachment to use those outputs. I believe the current version of the 09 is shipped in preamp mode, so the volume control on the unit will control the headphone’s volume when using the RCA outputs.
• Although I believe that a 09 will significantly improve the sound of your Pioneer, I think the 09 sounds much nicer as the source to tube amplification.
• After I bought one 09, I bought 2 more. How’s that for an endorsement? These units sound refined, they are extremely versatile, and they are a great value.
• The 09 can be a gateway component to hardcore tube components. It is addictive, and may not be compatible with marriage and child rearing. However, it may also lead to situations where a spouse may be pleasantly surprised about your sudden interests in couches, carpets, wall hangings, drapes, organic flow (house plants) and other things that my also function as acoustic room treatment. :)
 
•
• The 09 can be a gateway component to hardcore tube components. It is addictive, and may not be compatible with marriage and child rearing. However, it may also lead to situations where a spouse may be pleasantly surprised about your sudden interests in couches, carpets, wall hangings, drapes, organic flow (house plants) and other things that my also function as acoustic room treatment. :)

+1 to the first 2 sentences. My recently purchased tube amp has resulted in a very high WAF. She finds it to be quite a "conversation piece".
 
Could you give me a link to the tube you are describing? Thanks.

I was talking about the factory supplied one. You heard the guys talk about developing a tube addiction....I'm trying to hold that off for as long as possible. As soon as I start rollin' tubes it's all over!!
 
+1 to the first 2 sentences. My recently purchased tube amp has resulted in a very high WAF. She finds it to be quite a "conversation piece".

:) I can top that - I have a very high WAF, and so there are no conflicts, including stereo stuff. But it doesn't hurt that my sweetie thinks tubes are cute.:thmbsp:
 
Thanks everyone for all the help. My DAC 09 arrived a couple days ago. I am waiting to give impressions till after it has a good burn in. I have been running it pretty much non-stop since I've got it, so there should be about 20-30 hours on it already. I will upload some pictures either later today or tomorrow sometime :)

On another note, Shipping was awesome! The DAC 09 arrived 3 days after I placed the order, from Hong Kong, and I live in the middle in the U.S. (Iowa). That is pretty impressive.
 
Back
Top Bottom