• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Controlling one McIntosh device using another remote control

leftside

AK Member
The remote for my MCD751 CD transport has died. I bought a Harmony 650 remote yesterday and spent most of the day programming it to use all of my gear. It works great - I just need to press one button now to switch between watching movies and listening to music.

Just one problem - it doesn't want to operate the MCD751. Everything else is fine. D100, C2300, etc.

I read the MCD751 manual and it says this device can be controlled from other McIntosh remotes, but doesn't really provide too many details. Is it as simple as obtaining a data cable and connecting it from the "Data Out" on the D100 to the "Data In" on the MCD751?

What exactly are these data cables and do I need to get a specific type?
 
Register to hide this ad
The data control allows the master remote for a Mcintosh processor to operate the fundamental controls of the 871. It wont allow you to set up the 871 modes or features. It just allows the basics. I'd contact Audio Classics and get a replacement or send your harmony to them so they can program it for you if an original remote isn't available.
 
Thanks twiiii. Just the basics of the (MCD751) player are fine. Play, Pause, Back, Next, etc.

Sending the harmony to Audio Classics is an interesting option that I hadn't thought of.
 
Now I'm a little confused. The D100 only has a "Data In" (and not a "Data Out"). This implies the remote for the D100 cannot be used for other Mac gear. Seems strange that the remote would have buttons like "play", "skip, "fast forward", etc then? I'm going to contact McIntosh about this.

The C2300 does have a "Data Out", so perhaps I'll be able to use the remote that comes with that to control the (basic functions) of the MCD751.
 
With a data out cable, the C2300 should be able to control it provided it's on the CD1 input. It won't work if not on that input (at least that's how its been with my Mc preamps in the past).
 
BTW, did you try programming the Harmony to a similar vintage of Mc CD player? I assume if the 751 came with something like the HR044 remote, picking anything else that used an HR044 should work. There's really only been a few Mc remotes over the years as they keep the same models for a decade.
 
With a data out cable, the C2300 should be able to control it provided it's on the CD1 input. It won't work if not on that input (at least that's how its been with my Mc preamps in the past).
I'm going to try and pick up a cable this week and give it a try.
 
BTW, did you try programming the Harmony to a similar vintage of Mc CD player? I assume if the 751 came with something like the HR044 remote, picking anything else that used an HR044 should work. There's really only been a few Mc remotes over the years as they keep the same models for a decade.
Good point. I'll also give that a try later.
 
For what it's worth, I picked up and fixed an MCD7008 CD player but don't have a remote for it. I've tried to make a Harmony 880 control it but no luck. The Logitech Harmony database seems to know about the 7008 but it only provides a few codes and they don't work. There is a way to use the original remote to enter codes into the Harmony but I can't do that since I don't have the Mac remote.

Maybe the crew at Harmony doesn't put much effort into supporting older Mac products. There can't be many MCD7008s out there.

The 7008 is based on a Nakamachi Music Bank but the remotes and codes aren't interoperable. I tried...
 
BTW, did you try programming the Harmony to a similar vintage of Mc CD player? I assume if the 751 came with something like the HR044 remote, picking anything else that used an HR044 should work. There's really only been a few Mc remotes over the years as they keep the same models for a decade.
Didn't work I'm afraid. MCD7009, MCD7010, etc.

I'm not entirely sure of the model number of the remote for the MCD751. I couldn't find out which one it should be, but I'll ask a couple of people who might know.
 
Controlling one Mcintosh

hello LexDM3

You said :

The 7008 is based on a Nakamachi Music Bank but the remotes and codes aren't interoperable. I tried...

ok but what Nakamichi unit did you tried ? If you take the wrong Nakamichi remote it will not work on MCD7008 .

I have refixed many 7008 but never get any remote troubles ...And I don't see any reason why original NAKAMICHI remote will not work on MCD7008 !

Inside the MCD7008 service manual , there is no informations regarding remote and remote codes .
 
Didn't work I'm afraid. MCD7009, MCD7010, etc.

I'm not entirely sure of the model number of the remote for the MCD751. I couldn't find out which one it should be, but I'll ask a couple of people who might know.

Apparently the MCD751 is based on the TEAC VRDS. I see the Harmony database has the VRDS-7, VRDS-8, and VRDS-9, one of those might work (captive audience at the moment, Googling up a storm for my Mc brother here)

The model of the remote is usually on a sticker on the back. It looks like an older kind, maybe the MVP-831 DVD player would be worth trying too?
 
I posted on a Logitech forum a few days ago, and got a very good response:

"Thank you for notifying us! Based on your feedback, we have modified IR (Infa-Red) codes for McIntosh MCD751 in our database. If you have already added this model to your account, then kindly delete and re-add it to your account. Please note that once you remove your device, you need to update the Activities associated with it. Let us know, if it is working as expected!"

And now it works! I can now control my MCD751 with the Harmony 650 :)
 
I was going to say that they are quite responsive when you let them know of any issues.

I am using a "One" and I used to have a VCR that was used to record every day so after it was turned off, the Timer Record needed to be triggered, and the other way around when turning it on.

They went into my online profile and tweaked it from the back end and it worked flawlessly.
 
Back
Top Bottom