• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Coral BX-24 Speaker Trouble

Airjmax

Active Member
I recently acquired a very nice pair of Coral BX-24 speakers. One works perfectly, the other has a dead woofer - no sound at all. The tweeter works fine. All wires are soldered and intact from the binding posts to the speakers and cap. Could the cap be the culprit? I don't see how, because it doesn't stop the tweeter from working. New to the hobby, but trying to learn as I go. Thanks in advance - I know someone will have an answer.fullsizeoutput_69e.jpeg IMG_2445.JPG
 
Register to hide this ad
Check the tinsel leads on the woofer. It's the only thing I can think of.
I decided to clip all the leads and remove the woofer. I connected the speaker wires from the amp directly to the terminals on the driver, and still no sound. The only way to get sound from the driver was to touch the ground to the terminal, and the other to the speaker frame. The sound was still not right - the voice coil seems very stiff. No matter, I will probably make this my next project by throwing in some better drivers and a simple crossover. Thanks for the suggestion, xrayspex78!
 
Sounds like the driver is blown. Good luck with the project and post pictures for us to see when you complete it.
 
Can you see the wire coming from the voice coil to the terminal for ground? Sounds like the terminal gasket is bad. you may need to reinstall the terminal insuring the coil wire is not contacting the frame.
 
Damn, I just threw a single working bx-24 in the trash last week as I didn't have a match. It sat in my garage all summer and I finally came to the conclusion I was never gonna stumble onto another. I would've gladly given to you.
 
Damn, I just threw a single working bx-24 in the trash last week as I didn't have a match. It sat in my garage all summer and I finally came to the conclusion I was never gonna stumble onto another. I would've gladly given to you.
Dang! You are nearby too! Thanks anyway.
 
Back
Top Bottom