• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Coral speakers - $35?

Will V.

Winged Gargoyle
Are these worth picking up at the local SA? I didn't see a model number, but the cabinets are veneered wood, and look nice. I didn't peek behind the grills. Pretty nice cosmetic condition. The cabinets are about 20" tall or so, look like maybe they have one 8 or 10 inch woofer and a tweeter in each.
 
Register to hide this ad
At that price they are definitely worth a shot. All Coral products were very decent, and some of the speakers (and many speaker drivers) are highly sought after. Even if the speakers don't do anything special for you, you'll be able to recoup your buy price.
 
I've owned several different pairs of Coral speakers and have liked them all. They are certainly worth 35 bucks. They are a very efficient speaker that can also take quite a bit of juice, so they are good for use with either tubes or solid state gear. I say go for it!! They are a very nice, clean, and accurate sounding speaker that can put out a ton of civilized sound. They are flexible as well: good at playing mellow jazz and classical, yet fun to listen to kicking out bass-heavy hard rock as well.
My two cents.
 
Here are the speakers, they are still at the thrift. I think they are $30 now. I'm just not sure, because I don't know how to pull off the grill, so I'm can't check the drivers before I buy them. Also, one binding post (i.e., screw) is missing, probably not a huge deal, though.
 

Attachments

  • Coral1.jpg
    Coral1.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Coral2.jpg
    Coral2.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 36
The grills don't come off. To check the drivers you need to remove the back panel. These speakers are a 3 way system with a 10 inch woofer, 5 inch midrange and small horn tweeter. They are a very respectable sounding little speaker.
If they've been at the thrift all this time, I'd offer them 10 or 15 bucks for them; not that they aren't worth 30.
 
Back
Top Bottom