• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Corner speakers...

CLS500

Well-Known Member
Have been listening to these corner speakers I picked up a couple of months ago. I got these from guy who had owned them for 15 yrs. and had upgraded to a pair of Vandersteen 5a's (he was just unpacking them--lucky guy).
These units were, from what he could find out, built about 20 yrs. ago by an audio engineer professor at Texas A&M Univ. as a limited side business. The nameplate is metal and says "Webachs". They are 46" high, 36" wide and 18" at the deepest point front to rear. The horns are Electrovoice and are metal. The mid range horn is 15" wide and treble horn is 5 1/2" long. The 15" woofer has no name on it. The port, as you can see is about the same size as the larger horn and is 6" deep. They sit on a 3 1/2" foot and the base and treble controls are on the bottom under the foot !!! ( not very handy at all) They are finished on the outside areas in a nice walnut veneer and front panel is just a basic stain on the 3/4" plywood.
They sound great but I need to be about 30' away for them for the best sound. Those horns can kind of kill your ears up close. I have no idea how loud they will go. With the Onkyo 100wpc amp at 10 o'clock they are LOUD !!!
I have them set up at the end of my three car garage so I can get back from them. Anyone seen these before?? I am going to try a post a pic but it's my first pic post so hope I can get it right.
 

Attachments

  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 145
Register to hide this ad
The midrange horn looks to be an EV (8HD diffraction horn, driver could be... T-25, IIRC, although it's hard to say what driver is on it) and the tweeter is an EV T-35 family member.
The MR horn should, I think, be rotated 180 degrees for best lateral dispersion; the tweeter is correct. I am not an expert on the EV MR horns, though.

The woofer will likely betray its identity upon receiving suitable coercion from a screwdriver :-)

here's an index of manufacturer's EIA codes: www.webervst.com/codes.html

horns/drivers:

http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Horns/EDS/8HD EDS.pdf
http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Drivers/EDS/T25A EDS.pdf

http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Horns/EDS/HF1 & MF1 EDS.pdf (the bargain-basement member of the T-35 family, the Wolverine TW-35)
http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Speakers/EDS/T350 EDS.pdf (and at the other end of the spectrum, the T-350)
 
Last edited:
Ev

Yes, t-35 tweeter and 8hd mid horn. Most likely though, the midrange driver is an 1823, 1823m or 1824. Its a screw on 1 inch exit driver. No clue on the woofer though. Andrew.
 
D5CD25DF-7912-41FD-8255-8A17F6B0E184.jpeg CF3096D0-4222-4B32-90C7-70E9DB9C27FF.jpeg 7D655195-98F9-48BC-B9B9-EA24B611BDDB.jpeg
I realize this post is almost 10 years old, but I just picked up a pair of Webachs 2-way speakers that I wanted to share. The previous owner bought them new in Bryan, TX in the mid-70s. They measure 16” by 19” by 28” tall.
 
View attachment 2085424 View attachment 2085425 View attachment 2085426
I realize this post is almost 10 years old, but I just picked up a pair of Webachs 2-way speakers that I wanted to share. The previous owner bought them new in Bryan, TX in the mid-70s. They measure 16” by 19” by 28” tall.

View attachment 2085424 View attachment 2085425 View attachment 2085426
I realize this post is almost 10 years old, but I just picked up a pair of Webachs 2-way speakers that I wanted to share. The previous owner bought them new in Bryan, TX in the mid-70s. They measure 16” by 19” by 28” tall.
Hey, I was wondering how they sound? There’s a pair near me and I’m curious.
 
Back
Top Bottom