• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Cornet3 vs Budgie

pabloli150

New Member
Cornet3 vs Budgie

Good day everybody!

Both of them (click the link above) are true tube phono preamps under 500$, they have all good reviews and reputation too.

Anybody has listened to them? Is there any reason while you should choose one over the other when using MM cartridge?

Thank You for your reply on this.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I own the Cornet 3, I bought it as a DIY kit and as an upgrade for a DIY solid state preamp. It was a noticeable improvement. But I have never compared it to the budgie.

Both units should be well supported. Jim has always been quick to respond to questions. And I built and use Shannon's get set go amp. He was very helpful when I had questions. So I'd imagine he'd be even more helpful to a paying customer.

I suspect either would be great, and that this choice could come down to looks. However, the tubes used are different, and if you already had a supply of 12AU7 and 12ax7 tubes, I'd say go with the cornet.
 
Both quality units. The Budgie does allow for cartridge loading. Haven’t spent a bunch of time with the Hagerman unit but it has a dedicated following. Don’t think you can mess up here.
Thanks,
Andy
 
Back
Top Bottom