• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Cornwall II from 1968?!

GordonW

Speakerfixer
Subscriber
Here's a doozy, in terms of the conventional wisdom about Klipsch production timelines!

Got a pair of Cornwalls here... bought from the original owner, who bought them in the late '60s- 1968, at best recollection. HOWEVER- they CLEARLY (well, the writings a bit faded, but it's DEFINITELY THERE on both cabinets) say "Cornwall II"!

They have all the right gear for the late '60s- K55V mid, 2R crossover, and one woofer is a K33J, the other a K33P. That lends credence to them being made in the 'transitional year', 1968, when the changeover from the Jensen to the CTS (Paducah KY) woofer was made. The K33J is dated 1964, the K33P, 1968. Now, according to the original owner, they NEVER opened the cabinets for any reason... I was the first one in there, when I opened them in order to replace stained grille cloth, this week! So, all the components are there, as they were when they were built!

But, as I said, they clearly say "Cornwall II"... ain't that a mystery? :scratch2:

attachment.php


attachment.php


Any ideas on what might have been going on here? Do I have a time-warp on my hands here? Evidence of time travel? :D
 
Register to hide this ad
Well, there is an old Cornwall II and a newer Cornwall II. In the older ones, the "II" indicated vertical arrangement of the horns. Those "IIs" were produced along with the ones just labeled "Cornwall" which had the horns in a horizontal configuration.

Later, in 1985, the Cornwall was changed up to have different drivers and the drivers are mounted from the front. On these the backs are not removable. They were named the Cornwall II.

So, we have old Cornwall IIs and newer Cornwall IIs.

Bob Crites
 
Mine are indeed "vertical" (or, a some would say, "correct"- the orientation of the diffraction-type horns, for maximal horizontal dispersion :D ).

Thanks for the explanation, Bob. Makes perfect sense. :thmbsp:

Regards,
Gordon.
 
So Bob, did they make CWI and II concurrently.....I could have sworn that GaryMD has a set of late 70's horizontal CW1's in Zebra.

I was under the impression that CWII's evolved in the early 80's ??????
Some removable backs, and some w/differing mid-drivers (K55 vs K57).

Now I'm all confused, and even the literature of that era isn't totally accurate.

The three-way Heritage Series Cornwall II was first introduced in 1985 and manufactured by Klipsch until 1990. While no longer in production, Cornwall II model loudspeakers are still owned and listened to by Klipsch fans around the world as part of two-channel audio and home theater surround sound systems.

Heck, I bought mine back in '83
 
Yes, the "old" Cornwall IIs (verticals) were made concurrently with the Cornwall (horizontal). Now the next oddity was the early 80s Cornwalls that I like to call the Cornwall 1.5s. A variety of midrange drivers were used during those years including the K-55V, K-51V, K-52H and perhaps K-55M. Just whatever happened to be available, I guess. I think those from 1980 to end of original Cornwall production were all horizontal.

Then in 1985, the driver set settled down again with the K-57K midrange, K-79K tweeter and K-34E woofer. And only available as horizontal orientated drivers and non-removable back and designated only Cornwall II. The crossover was made by Mrs. Beasley's 3rd grade arts and crafts class at Hope Elementary School.

Bob
 

Attachments

  • c2xover.jpg
    c2xover.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 39
What a transitioning period!!! Thanks for clearing that up.

More history to the CW's than I originally thought. Looks like I have the CW 1.5's:yes::scratch2:

O, and BTW, the new caps are now broken in, and also made some system/room changes too!:thmbsp:
 
Back
Top Bottom