• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Correct speaker setup from 3200 to 140 to run headphones?

polaar

New Member
I am running the pre out from the 3200 to the input of the 140, and running speakers out of the 140. There is no signal in the 3200 headphone jack. A previous AK post says that I need to "patch in the speaker out from the Marantz 140 to the speaker in on the 3200" to be able to use the headphone jack in the 3200. Do I do this through the speaker wires, running from the speaker systems out on the 140 the speaker systems input on the 3200 and then run all speakers directly from the 3200? Pics linked from AC:

http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/3200.html

http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/0140.html
 
Register to hide this ad
I am running the pre out from the 3200 to the input of the 140, and running speakers out of the 140. There is no signal in the 3200 headphone jack. A previous AK post says that I need to "patch in the speaker out from the Marantz 140 to the speaker in on the 3200" to be able to use the headphone jack in the 3200. Do I do this through the speaker wires, running from the speaker systems out on the 140 the speaker systems input on the 3200 and then run all speakers directly from the 3200? Pics linked from AC:

http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/3200.html

http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/0140.html
Yes, follow the bolded.

It's easier if you look at the 3200 as essentially two totally separate units (A preamp and a speaker selector) on one common chassis with no internal connection. The headphone jack in in the speaker selector section.

Look at it as an extention of the pre out/main in jumpers Marantz is famous for. :D
 
Speaker wire output of the amp connects to the speaker in on the pre, pre out speaker wires to the actual speaker wires.
 
Last edited:
Thanks so much - in a pre-internet era I would have had no option but to assume that the jack was dead, and would have wasted time pulling the 3200 apart for no reason!
 
Here's a better view

connectionsi.jpg


connections2.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom