• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Correlating gear to women (or men)

I've never gone that route with "vintage" cars (I've collected them a-plenty) and certainly not audio reproduction gear, but it is a tad remarkable, considering the number of musical instruments, and especially guitars -- electric, acoustic, acoustic-resophonic -- I've owned over the last 40+ years (and still maintain a sizable stable), that Ihave never "named" a geetar. Musicians are notorious/famous for "naming" their instruments: Albert and B.B King named their geetars; Stevie Ray named (@ least) one of his geetars; the Keith Richards main Telecaster is named; Roy Buchanan's main Broadcaster (IIRC?) was named; Clapton's "Blackie"; Muddy's red Telecaster had a name; IIRC, Hound Dog Taylor has a name for @ least one of his Teisco geetars; maybe Chuck Berry's ES-335 (or was it 345?) might'a been named; and I'm sure there are (many) more examples I'm not remembering @ the moment (still early AM here). Interesting thing about The Kings is each of 'em had multiple examples of a "main ax" o'er the span of their respective careers to which they (re)assigned the same name, heh heh. AFAIK, musicians do not (as a custom) "name" their amplification, though they might assign a "name" to a custom-built accessory, e.g., Neil Young's "Whizzer" device, but that's more of a case of assigning a model/device name rather being an example of anthropomorphism. I do not recall, offhand, any "jazz" geetarists w/ "named" geetars, and if any bassists "named" a certain instrument, I'm not aware of it. Maybe EJ named one or more of his pianos? In any event, geetars get names, usually female, owing to their curvy contours one should think, but IIRC, Stevie Ray's "named" geetar (note: I am not referring to "Number One") might have been assigned a man's name...? Players like Townshend, Hendrix, and Zappa who went through geetars like toilet paper never named 'em, though @ the mid/late '70s Pete did the "numbering" trick @ his stable of Lester Deluxe models. (note: Did EVH have a name for his "iconic" Charvel?)

P.S. Ah, thought of one more: "The Beast" was the name Malcolm Young (AC/DC for those who don't know or remember him) bestowed on his (double-cutaway) 1963 Gretsch "Jet Firebird" model. A case of non-anthropomorphic anthropomorphism.

P.P.S. Did Gilmour ever assign a name to main-player '69 Black Strat?
 
I've said "I'm spending the evening with my French twins" a few times and I often find myself analogizing sound to women. My Focals are "tall, slender, milky white, and wrapped in black leather". Their sound is "balanced and proportionate at the top and mids, with a strong, well defined bottom". Does any of that sound unappealing on your bed sheets?

I find people's tastes audio gear to be highly analogous to tastes in women. Some people are all about the tone, some about imaging, some about dynamics, and most are some mix of those things. Some guys go nuts for a great pair of tits, a pretty face, a great ass, a certain demeanor, and most are looking for the mix that trips their trigger. I don't see much difference. I do think my tastes in sound reflect my tastes in women. There's a girl I'm nuts about and the first time she listened to my stereo it totally made sense to her, knowing me quite well.
 
Back
Top Bottom