• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Corrosion on KLH 6 drivers

zls1camaro

Active Member
Hi I am restoring a set of 4 KLH 6 speakers -- and they have been untouched in the shop since the Spring. I went to restart the project today and noticed three of my four drivers have light corrosion at the seam where the front magnet plate meets the housing. Problem? Nothing to worry about? Any advice appreciated.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Go ahead and hook them up and run them through their paces to see if they sound ok or are rubbing. The real concern would be if the corrosion is down in the voice coil and the gap for the voice coil. The corrosion indicates exposure to moisture and that may not be good for the speakers.
 
Corrosion with pitting or just oxidized stuff on the surface? I'd just wipe it off with a wet wipe and move on if it's the latter.
 
Minor spots of rust and white build up - a few spots, not all over. In the crevice where the plate and housing meet. I can remove with Dremel and wire bit, seal the seam?
 
The white stuff should just wipe off. I wouldn't sweat it, as long as the drivers are still working. Others may feel otherwise, but my usual course of action is to simply wipe it off. Paranoia makes me hold my breath while I do so, and wash my hands immediately afterward, though.
 
Back
Top Bottom