• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Country Pop is killing off regional country music

finnbow

The Dude Abides
Interesting article about the impact of modern-day country pop music on regional country music.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...larity-is-threatening-to-kill-regional-music/

I'll admit to loving real country music (e.g., Patsy Cline, Hank Williams, bluegrass) and Alt-Country/Americana (Gillian Welch, Wilco, Lucinda Williams ...), but I can't stomach modern-day Nashville country pop (the line between them may be blurred sometimes, but the difference between what I like and don't like is pretty clear to me).
 
Register to hide this ad
I'm with you OP, now if I can just fit that article in before I have to start closing my store XD

Sent from my ZTE Olympia
 
Some of the crap I really like is folkish and countryish. I'll call it Americana. I feel that the distinction between Americana and what many folks today recognize as country is that Americana doesn't suck.

Sent from my ZTE Olympia
 
Well, it's not - real music wins in the long run, even if it's not the most popular stuff or played on the radio. Gillian, Wilco, Lucinda, Chris Knight, etc., etc. are not going away.
 
I don't even know if you can call that stuff country. It's just bad pop music. The only common thread is if it's sung with a fake overdone southern accent and has a fiddle playing during the bridge.
 
I wish something, anything would kill country pop, bro country, whatever it is. How many more songs about lifted trucks, kegs, and tight blue jeans can be written? I'd be just thrilled if I never heard Florida Georgia Line, Luke Bryan, Blake Shelton, etc. again. :puke:
 
I could listen to "Old and in the Way" or "Flatt and Scruggs" all day, same with Wilco or Sonvolt. pop country.. no way!
 
I absolutely loathe pop country. I live in a far NW suburb of Chicago, McHenry, IL, which is one of the last cities you'll see before you hit farm fields of corn. Because of that, it's filled with suburban cowboys and their brodozer trucks blasting "country". These are the same people who will tell you top 40 rap and pop music is crap, but yet they are just playing the redneck equivalent. It's the same thing with a little bit of twang and a southern accent. A friend of mine who loves the crap was playing a song the other day, and other than the southern accent, it was a pop song. If the accent was gone, nothing about it said country, not even a slight bit of twang or a fiddle. Huge hit on country stations. I don't get it. I have no problem at all with actual country, folk, americana, etc., but this crap needs to die fast. Unfortunately, I don't think that will happen for a long, looooong time.
 
It should really be called suburban pop. I love it. Up here in Wisconsin those stations dominate the airwaves in the big markets, Milwaukee and the Fox Valley/Green Bay.

Keeps me busy with shows to work, and new music to keep up with.

Kenny Chesney/Jason Aldean are doing a show at Lambeau Field on 6/20/15 and all hotel rooms are already sold out.
 
It should really be called suburban pop.

Rural pop or southern pop would make more sense. The average suburban kids in areas that aren't close to farms are still usually playing normal top 40.


Whatever this genre is, it sure generates a lot of revenue, and all it takes is a little formula.
Trucks + Beer + Girls + Tight Jeans + Riverbed + Dirt Road + Moonlight = CA$H
Throw in God or 'Merica for some extra bucks. This song summed it up on its own in that perfect pop/rap combo with an accent.

The lack of creativity is what annoys me, just as it does with most top 40 hits. Most of them don't write their own music, either. They're just cash cows being thrown stereotypical hits to rake in the dough. It's not art. It's generic and boring. I can't stand generic '50s hits about teenage love for the same reason.
 
So when somebody makes a blanket statement about today's Pop music sucks, and someone retorts with, "today is no different than the 60s, it had its share of sucky music as well. But when the subject is Pop country, it is mob mentality on this forum. I don't see any difference. I like some of the new country, but not most of it.

The only thing different this time around is Finnbow quoting some pseudo intellectual piece, that ignores some of its own facts. Mainly, this is nothing new. Local country music has been dying since the advent of TV.


This space intentionally left blank.
 
Only in my 5th decade have I begun to buy and listen to the old stars that I grew up hearing. I appreciate the talent and emotion of the music.

The modern country pop is the same as all the other pop. Repetitive, redundant, boring. Manufactured stars.

All that can be said about it has already been posted above.

Long live "No Show Jones", "The Man In Black" and all the others that brought the excitement to the Opry stage when it was still downtown. Grandpa Jones, Stringbean, and all the others of an era of genuine entertainment gone by.
 
Last edited:
Only in my 5th decade have I begun to buy and listen to the old stars that I grew up hearing. I appreciate the talent and emotion of the music.

The modern country pop is the same as all the other pop. Repetitive, redundant, boring. Manufactured stars.
.


Those adjectives also describe the country music radio sound that you grew up listening to. Repetitive, redundant, an manufactured, the last one being cited in the pseudo article as one of the reasons for the loss of local country music.


This space intentionally left blank.
 
I don't even know if you can call that stuff country. It's just bad pop music. The only common thread is if it's sung with a fake overdone southern accent and has a fiddle playing during the bridge.

Trucks + Beer + Girls + Tight Jeans + Riverbed + Dirt Road + Moonlight = CA$H
Throw in God or 'Merica for some extra bucks.

These sum up my feelings on the subject perfectly.
 
What modern music is good? I'm not a fan of the current country scene but then again I'm not a fan of pop, rap or the modern rock music either. I really try, listening to the radio all day at work will alternate between a pop, country, rock station and the repetitive classic rock stations. 99% of the music on modern stations will fade away and never be played again 2-3 years from now. But I'm sure it was the same for decades. How many songs were on the radio in the 80's and should never be played again?

As far as "country pop" goes I was never a listener. My wife got me onto Zac Brown who has a few cheesy songs but also has some real talent. Not radio overplayed, writes his own music and has this country-rock-island sound to it. Saw them last year and it was an excellent show.

There is some talent in the pile of garbage out there in all genres, its fun trying to pick it out. Kind of like discovering a score in a pile of old audio junk.
 
So when somebody makes a blanket statement about today's Pop music sucks, and someone retorts with, "today is no different than the 60s, it had its share of sucky music as well. But when the subject is Pop country, it is mob mentality on this forum. I don't see any difference..................

Making sport of people is fun and making sport of groups of people is efficient fun. Making sport of most groups has become taboo in our society, with one obvious exception. That exception coincides just about perfectly with those who enjoy that type of music.

..............There is some talent in the pile of garbage out there in all genres, its fun trying to pick it out. Kind of like discovering a score in a pile of old audio junk.

Trying to find gold nuggets in a pile of dirt is fun in direct proportion to the number of nuggets per square yard of dirt. Not enough nuggets for my definition of fun, although it might be more correct to say too many yards of dirt per nugget.
 
Making sport of people is fun and making sport of groups of people is efficient fun. Making sport of most groups has become taboo in our society, with one obvious exception. That exception coincides just about perfectly with those who enjoy that type of music.




.


I am not politically correct, so I am free to make fun of anyone. :D


This space intentionally left blank.
 
Back
Top Bottom