LFazio51
Active Member
This has actually not been my experience but my perspective may be slightly different. The quality of manufacturing is first rate AND it appears that the majority of caps are Nichicon (unit has never been recapped so I know these are original, and they are everywhere!) The overall architecture is very tight on the model I'm working on and it appears disassembly of the tuning capacitor wheel and string is required to access many of the key boards. Its easy to remove the bottom row of switches, however, once you get to the bass and treble sliders, they are plugged into the tone amp board, which has to be accessed from the top of the unit, thus requiring removal of the tuning assembly as previously stated. Just to the right of the tone control sliders is the loudness and balance sliders, which appear to plug into another board as well, and quite possibly accessed from the top as well. Again, this is the first time I've attempted to disassemble a Yamaha unit and therefore, I could be wrong but I see no other way to access many of these boards unless the tuning capacitor wheel and string is removed; a process I'm not willing to use for education since this is my brothers unit. If it were mine, I'd have far less reservations. I'm really worried about restringing the tuning wheel and if ultimately it will require that I bring it to a tech shop to resolve, which would be far more money than I'm willing to spend to correct any errors I've made, especially given the fact that it's not going to be used for FM much at all.Actually despite being from first half of 1970s (me and the amp) I found CR-1000 quite easy to maintain for a beginner. You can either remove pcbs/sliders/switches as many are not soldered at all but on connectors or they are on really lavish allowance of cable lengths. I find it easier to maintain than CA-1010 or Marantz 2270 which I also dealt with. I fully recapped CR-1000 without unsoldering a single cable. This would be hard with other 2 amps I mentioned. 2 out of 3 main amp caps are so on edge of the pcb that I even replaced them without unscrewing the pcbs.
Also, the filter caps are just on top of the bottom plate, which again, would require the tuning capacitor flywheel to be removed, so the tuning board could be removed, then access to the caps be granted. I've also not seen a "generous" amount of wire going to these boards and cannot see how removal or recap would be possible without getting some of these boards removed entirely. Again, I'm a newb so I could be completely off-base on these initial assumptions so hopefully someone may set me straight on my thinking if there's an easier way. Look at the following pics.
Tone Amp Assy viewed from the bottom. Switch boards plug in vertically to the left and horizontally on the bottom. I cant see anyway to remove these bass and treble slider assemblies without working to remove the tone amp board, which I think has to be done from the top of the unit, thus requiring the tuning capacitor wheel removal.


Tuning knob is already removed so this will be a piece of cake! I guess I simply haven't pondered the design long enough and just assumed otherwise. I can't thank you enough sir for this "tid-bit" of information as it just made life MUCH easier!! Given my initial thoughts, I kept wondering WHY a manufacturer would design something that required the tuning wheel to be removed for accessing so many other areas! LMAO!

