• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

CR-2020 Vs. CA-1010

Leaftech

New Member
I have the opportunity to buy either a CR-2020 or a CA-1010. Both are in similar condition and both are about the same price. The CR-2020 has not been recapped nor fully restored, but it has been serviced and cleaned with deoxit. It supposedly has had the service updates done to it. The CA-1010 is from the son of the original owner and it works, but has not been serviced as far as I know. Both units look to be in excellent aesthetic condition.

I was hoping I could get some current thoughts and suggestions on which of these two units would be the better option for my needs. I currently have a CR-820 which I enjoy very much (I love the sound of Yamaha components both old and new). I run two sets of stacked KEF 103.2 reference speakers both of which have been restored. I am also picking up a pair of Yamaha NS-1000M speakers in very good condition in a week or two (I figured an upgrade in power from the CR-820 would be beneficial for the NS-1000M's as well as the KEF's). I will be using these with a turntable eventually, but at the moment I will only be using Spotify and possibly Tidal. I rarely if ever listen to FM, but the option is nice if it's there.

I might possibly be able to get the CR-2020 for about a hundred less than the CA-1010. I would probably prefer to get my hands on the CR-2040, but that one has been near impossible for me to locate. Twice now I have almost landed the 2040, but unfortunately both times it didn't end up working out.

Is one unit better than the other? Any differences in sound quality? Integrated vs. receiver?

Opinions would be greatly appreciated.
 
Register to hide this ad
CA-1010 has the provisions for 18 watts of class A operation.And 90 watts of Class AB
CR-2020 105 watts Class AB.
 
Last edited:
Isn't class A better for speakers rated at 4ohm? I believe both the KEF 103.2's and the 1000M's are rated at 8ohm. Would these speakers sound better in class A operation? What is the main benefit of class A?
 
Any differences in sound quality?
There yamaha.. They both sound excellent. The CA-1010 has a little more versatile TT cartridge loading selection. But no Tuner..
I'm a seperates type guy..So I would lean toward the Integrated over the Receiver.
 
If I end up with either of these vintage Yammies, I plan on eventually having them fully restored by AK'er Salbreth (who is located not too far from my location). I also might just end up saving for one of the newer A-S series of integrated amps although I really like the sound and looks of the vintage Yamahas (love my cr-820).

From searching this forum, I realize the CR-2020 is prone to issues and definitely will benefit from a restoration. Is the 1010 any more reliable than the 2020, or are they both just as viable to have failure issues being such old units?
 
They are both vintage and both have there inherent issues to be remedied.

Sounds like I should probably go for the one that is a better price and more convenient in traveling for pick up. This will most likely be the CR-2020 If I can get it for 100 less than the 1010.
 
I like that the CA-1010 has the class A option, but not sure if that will be usable with my speakers. I really like the loudness control on the CR-2020, and the ability to connect all three sets of my speakers to it. I have a Sony PS-x70 turntable, but I'm trading it towards the NS-1000M speakers in a couple weeks. Eventually I would like to pick up a Yamaha turntable.
 
The 2020's are a PITA to service IMHO.

That's good to know, although AK'er Salbreth seems to be a very capable tech who does full restoration work. Not sure if he has worked on Yamahas or not. I know he does very thorough work in any case. Replaces everything that is replaceable and brings components as close as possible to factory fresh specs with the highest quality new parts available.

I'm guessing you would much prefer restoring a CA-1010 rather than a CR-2020?
 
I stopped doing receivers a log time ago.I do have a couple last receivers to finish up though.. A CR-2040 and my personal CR-2020.
 
I would much prefer the CR-2040 to be honest. I just love the looks of this one out of all the Yamaha vintage receivers. I've also heard this is one of the nicer sounding units.
 
I like the looks of the CR-X40 series, too. And the outputs on the CR-2040 are still discrete components (the 1040 and lower have IC driver and output blocks). Why not wait for one of those. If the class A feature is not important, and you like the looks of the 2040, find one. I rarely listen to music on FM, so tuners are not important to me, and I tend toward integrated amps, but I do appreciate a pretty receiver.
 
I own a cr-2020 and a ca-1000 (earlier version of the 1010). I have restored both of them. You want the 1010. I love my CR-2020, but it is way way way more of an endeavor to restore. You will find that not everyone wants to work on it and if someone does, it'll cost a pretty penny to do the whole thing. The class A sounds really nice to me, though many people can't hear the difference and it probably has a lot to do with your other components/speakers. The 1010 is also smaller size wise, so it's easier to place in a living area. The CR-2020 is quite massive and rather wide. When fully restored and set up properly both are excellent and will give you a grin. The 1010 is more practical in my opinion.
 
Oh, and I forgot to add, you will most definitely want to restore whichever unit you get if you expect any kind of long term reliability and optimal performance. I do not recommend replacing components wholesale like you mentioned. Electrolytics, relays, certain resistors, tantalum caps, and a couple failure prone transistors are the only parts you should replace if it's a currently functional unit. No reason to just go in and replace every part possible. A quick deoxit and adjustment service on a 40 year old unit isn't going to get it to be reliable or performing as well as it should. I think you could be very happy just getting your CR-820 restored if you don't have a DESIRE for more power like some of us :D
 
Oh, and I forgot to add, you will most definitely want to restore whichever unit you get if you expect any kind of long term reliability and optimal performance. I do not recommend replacing components wholesale like you mentioned. Electrolytics, relays, certain resistors, tantalum caps, and a couple failure prone transistors are the only parts you should replace if it's a currently functional unit. No reason to just go in and replace every part possible. A quick deoxit and adjustment service on a 40 year old unit isn't going to get it to be reliable or performing as well as it should. I think you could be very happy just getting your CR-820 restored if you don't have a DESIRE for more power like some of us :D

Good food for thought. The 820 is fantastic and I like it a lot. I believe it is rated at 55 wpc whereas the 1010 and 2020 are around 100 wpc. The reason I wanted an upgrade from the 820 is simply because the speakers I'll be running (two sets of KED Reference 103.2 and Yamaha NS1000M's) are rated much higher, and I've been told the 1000M's really shine when given more power. I also like that the 2020 and 1010 both have pre out and main in connections in case I pick up a WXC-50 or something similar (Although I'm not sure if that even matters seeing as I can run a unit like the WXC-50 through aux or line in inputs).

The main reasons I'm leaning towards the 2020 are the ability to have three sets of speakers connected to it, the loudness control, and the aesthetics. I do like the idea of the 1010's class A option although I have no experience with class A. The 2020 will come with a 30 day guarantee. The 2020 is located about an hour away from me. The 1010 is about 4 hours away. Although the 1010 is 4 hours away, I might be able to fit it in on my road trip to WV to pick up my 1000M's in a week or two. They are both the same price.

Either one I'd go with will eventually be fully restored by Ak'er Salbreth, however I wont be able to afford to get that done right away.
 
Back
Top Bottom