• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Cracked magnet suggested repair ?

2manyspkers

Well-Known Member
I have a set of OHM walsh 2 speakers and have found that the magnet on one woofer is cracked all the way around. The surround looks good, the speaker measures 6 ohm.
The output is very low volume.
The first pic shows the whole speaker assembly sitting on top of a radio shack speaker subbed in for the malfunctioning woofer / sounded pretty good with that speaker.
The other show the crack extending all the way around the magnet
Thanks for any suggestions.
Not sure replacement drivers are very easy to find for a low price.
 

Attachments

  • 0615181112 (2).jpg
    0615181112 (2).jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 0615181226.jpg
    0615181226.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 65
  • 0615181226a.jpg
    0615181226a.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 0615181227.jpg
    0615181227.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 0615181227a.jpg
    0615181227a.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 66
Register to hide this ad
Ohm does offer a repair service for the cost of $200 for one driver. I assume you don't consider that a low price, especially since these speakers appear to sell on eBay in working condition for about $3-$400/pair.

I'd keep an eye on eBay and Craigslist to see if you can find someone parting out their speakers. It's extremely unlikely these are available new from anywhere but the manufacturer, since as I'm sure you know, they're proprietary drivers.

ETA: actually, are these proprietary? I had assumed that these were similar to the Ohm F, but now I see (and remember from way back when) that they're a 2-way model with a down-facing, somewhat conventional-looking woofer, and a forward-facing tweeter mounted to the woofer magnet.
 
Yes, the woofer doesn't look like anything special and 200 is more than I'd like to spend, but it is an option.
 
it also appears that removing the tweeter that's glued to a plate and glued to the damaged magnet might be an issue,
but have not yet tried to see how strong the glue is.
 
I have a Coral speaker that did that. I just aligned it and used jb weld all along the crack. Been a few years and no issues yet
 
I am thinking a little heat will soften up the glue and allow me to replace the woofer, what might
be a challenge is finding a 8 woofer that's shallow enough to allow it to fit back into the can.
it looks like I have about 3.25 inches in depth and am finding many of the woofers are 3.69 to 4.25 inches
deep.....
 
Sent a message to OHM today (Sat AM) and received a response a short time later from John
said he would repair/ replace the damaged woofer and would even give me a discounted price
to help me out.
I'm impressed by that level of customer service in this day when you're lucky to even get a response
from one of the cable or phone service providers !
 
I'm impressed by that level of customer service in this day when you're lucky to even get a response
from one of the cable or phone service providers !
I don't own Ohm products. I do get their e-mail newsletter which may be on an irregular schedule, but it is always interesting.

I'm pleased that they're taking care of you. I have the sense that John Strohbeen is one of the "good guys".
 
Back
Top Bottom