• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Crap- ADS L810s & L400s being dismantled for parts

I agree it'[s better to have one pair of running 810s, instead of two sick versions, and agree with the analogy made in regards to collector cars. You are correct, without parts, there would be a lot of unfinished cars around.

But also, it's painful to watch someone dismantle a 1957 Nomad, for parts for others, because the tire is flat, or the battery won't hold a charge.
 
Squidward said:
Parting thigs out is a hot button topic on AK, right up there with tubes vs. solid state, and the realtive merit of the Pioneer HPM series.

The funny thing on this topic, tho, is that there are AKers out ther parting things out, and won't tell anyone here about it for fear of backlash.

You should thank whomever sold you that hard to find part, not call them names because you're jealous that you always wanted a piece of gear they're parting out.

TDH - This isn't directed at you at all, this is just an observation. You do seem to get me up on a soapbox more than others, tho, you rascal you!

Your point is well taken, and with the utmost respect. And, I agree with you more than you realize.

But in regards to me getting you up on the soapbox, all wild, all worked up, its only in order to get you to keel over so I can come over and inherit all your fine gear!!! :D

To all you AKers that part out gear, I do not hold it against you, nor will I deliver you heaping loads of scorn and venom.

I'll thank you, actually, for helping to keep well-loved gear alive.

So, please understand I'm in full agreement to part out any less-than perfect gear, and am extremely glad to see that there's a source of vintage parts to keep our beloved speakers, amps, ect, alive.

In this case, it was just seeing a very, very nice pair of L810s being parted because of one bad crossover.

I fear the cabinets will not sell, and therefore be lost forever.

Someone, somewhere, has a pair of L810s with garbage cabs and could use these, but at $50 and another $100 in shipping, it's most likely not going to make it to them.

:tears:

So, to finish up, I support parting out beat-up speakers and rough looking cabbed gear, but I do get sad to see very nice condition gear parted. It's one less piece someone can enjoy. And there's lots more junk cabinets out there that I'd say are more suitable for organ replacement.

Like the water-damaged, separating cabinets Ernie (lovinvinyl) salvaged my EPI/Genesis drivers from. :thmbsp:

And if I found some wreaked driver EPI 100s in real wood walnut veneer, well, I'd strip out my mint cabinet 100v (vinyl) pair in a heartbeat, to populate the better, real wood walnut veneer cabinet, and not shed a tear about it.
 
Sometimes people dont post things they think wont sell, like speaker cabs. If you can locate the seller of the parts, maybe they will sell you the cabs.

LOL, ...chest pains.... Oh no! TDH is gonna get all my gear! MUST LIVE!!!

LOL!

:banana:
 
I live closer, I doubt he beats me to your gear. Plus, I cased the joint, I know all the ins/outs of your home...good luck, Ed.
 
dnewman, I'll be the lookout, okay?

We can work together- Squid's got plenty to go around for th' both of us...

:yes:
 
thedelihaus said:
I agree it'[s better to have one pair of running 810s, instead of two sick versions, and agree with the analogy made in regards to collector cars. You are correct, without parts, there would be a lot of unfinished cars around.

But also, it's painful to watch someone dismantle a 1957 Nomad, for parts for others, because the tire is flat, or the battery won't hold a charge.


Just think of all the 55' 56' & 57's used in destruction derbys back in the 60's and 70's! :sigh:
 
Back
Top Bottom