• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Critical Errors of a Rookie, Dynakit Pas 2

The how, http://www.audioregenesis.com/documents/PAS Tone Control Bypass.pdf. Very happy with it. I like to listen to music the way the Rec Eng intended. That being said I have a heavy bass issue going on in my space, still need to recap the Klipsch so I am hoping that is it. If not then I will probably do all new tone controls.

I also put George R's boards in it.

:beerchug:

Forgive me please, as I click on the pdf file for the audioregenis link, all I get I a a very basic diagram with no instructions. I have tried to go to the website and again when I click on tone control removal I get the same pages. I am interested in this form of defeating the tone controls.
 
I am interested in this removal of tone controls but I just can't find any instructions on line. Maybe it's because I am using my phone. Will try when I get home on my pc
 
I just used that pdf from the website. The drawing is pretty straight forward and it tells you what caps you need. I am out the door to work If know one chimes in I will come up with something later for you. I work 12’s so it will take a minute.
 
OK Imaybe I just need to look at it from a bigger screen, my eyes are going bad with my age....Thanks mate.
 
Nope, my eyes are fine, when I opened the pdf on my home PC, it was what I was looking for. there was no words what so ever just the schematic with the tone controls no words and the wiring schematic, I have been racking my brain all night long looking for info on this since you recommended it. I read other threads and they all praised it too, but just had the same link that wa worthless to me, thanks CChief
 
It’s all there When I open it from the link or the website, use the picture and the write up when you get it to open correctly
 
It’s all there When I open it from the link or the website, use the picture and the write up when you get it to open correctly

Got it, would you tell me what 1uf caps you used for this? I live in Wyoming and the only way I am going to get the right ones is via ebay or online somewhere, thank you very much in advance, off to bed now as I just got off a 12 hour graveyard shift.
 
page 2 has the instructions. Comes out fine here.

Well for some reason on my phone it did not have any written instructions on the PDF download. This morning I downloaded it on my PC and printed out as everything was available instructions and all. So that's all good. Going to take the literature to work and read it tonight. Thank you.
 
Yes, it is more than just a diagram. Two pages with written information as well as diagrams.

For the 1.0µF and additional information, you might be interested in reading here: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....-dynaco-pas-preamp-a-low-cost-refresh.755387/

Should you decide to proceed further, here's an alternative for the filament electrolytics not mentioned in my spreadsheet at the above link: Mouser Part #: 598-688TTA035M

Thank you so much Petercapo, I surely do appreciate your input as well as everyones.
 
Get the PAS fully working and up to spec before you start modifying it.

It is now up and up to stock condition, with the exceptions of a power supply upgraded, and I put in new stuffed 5 and 6 boards. No other mods have been done, beside replacing the power indicator with a LED.


With that said do you guys beleive that the tone control defeat as put out by audioregenisis as per George R is a positive step to take ? Would you recommend it if the original sound quality is not up to par to my "ear"? Thank you all in advance for your opinions on this.
 
I have printed out the details of the defeated controls and also sompatibility issues document from audioregenisis and will read them tonight as well as the owners manual.
 
It is now up and up to stock condition, with the exceptions of a power supply upgraded, and I put in new stuffed 5 and 6 boards. No other mods have been done, beside replacing the power indicator with a LED.


With that said do you guys beleive that the tone control defeat as put out by audioregenisis as per George R is a positive step to take ? Would you recommend it if the original sound quality is not up to par to my "ear"? Thank you all in advance for your opinions on this.
You might not gain anything by removing tonecontrols. ( not if you are driving an amp that has
> 300k input impedance s.a. Dynaco ST70 in original condition.
You _could_ add one thing ( it's reversible ) ; a cap in series with the output post to remove the
small DC offset that a PAS-2/3 has on it's output.
You could install it with one connector on the output post and the other on the wire that comes from
eylet 7 & 14 0.47uF 50V would do, higher voltages not needed but could be used.
 
The DC blocking cap is a good thing. The stock ST-70 will not appreciate the DC voltage being fed in. Its actually enough to upset the phase inverter balance, assuming the 7199's are in proper shape to begin with. Possible what you don't like about the preamp isn't actually coming from the preamp, but rather what it does to the power amp.
 
You might not gain anything by removing tonecontrols

Noted, I am in the middle of a long work week, 3 - 12 HR day shifts followed by 3 -12 HR graveyard shifts. With just 24 hrs off in the middle. I will spend a lot of time sitting and listening to my system and swap my pres and do comparisons. Thank you, that is exactly the input I need to hear.

The DC blocking cap is a good thing. The stock ST-70 will not appreciate the DC voltage being fed in

Again thank you for the insight, I was reading a thread last night about this, I will look into this more. From what I read seems like an easy job to do.
 
And, at the risk or being repetitious, I agree with @airtime that establishing the proper operating condition of your PAS is probably the next best step, hence the voltage chart on page 11 of the manual.

After my work week is done, Thurs morning I will spend a lot of time in front of my system listening. I will do the voltage tests before any work is considered. Thank you,

I see all the same players on all the threads I have read on this subject. My hat is off to all you guys. It sure is nice to have proper support from knowledgeable folks such as yourself, and the others here, and for free. I cannot express my deep appreciation for all your experience and help.
 
Screenshot_2017-10-31-18-42-21.png Screenshot_2017-10-31-18-44-51.png


This is what I was seeing last night trying to figure out instructions.

I was like "I am in way over my head, if these guys can read this and k ow exactly what to do" like reading ancient Egyptian text on a wall and building a space ship.
 
Back
Top Bottom