• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Critical Listening

I taught a course on Aural Recognition (criticality listening) to over 2500 students, was also a lab rat in 3 of the studies used to develop the course. One of the big take-a-ways in that experience is that the majority of people can’t do it right out of the box. That said if you’re on an audiophile site your probably in the minority that can. :thumbsup:

Edit: and by “do it” I mean notice the small subtle differences in what they are hearing. Anyone (for the most part) can sit there and concrete or “actively” listen.
 
Last edited:
To me, 'critical listening' involves comparisons, even if only to memories, and is a chore, for the most part. Not that it can't be a source of delight, as well, when I hear something new, but mainly a task to be completed.

FWIW, I often used to listen at the OP's stated volume levels, mainly late at night. You need quiet surroundings, alright, but my system is involving right down to 'hold your breath during the quiet parts' levels. It's called micro-dynamics, at least by me.
 
It seems some folks define critical listening as focused or attentive listening; that is, listening without distraction and with full attention...while others define it literally as listening for flaws, differences, etc, as in doing a critique or comparative evaluation.

Without a common definition of the term, it's hard to discuss it.
 
Last edited:
I taught a course on Aural Recognition (criticality listening) to over 2500 students, was also a lab rat in 3 of the studies used to develop the course. One of the big take-a-ways in that experience is that the majority of people can’t do it right out of the box. That said if you’re on an audiophile site your probably in the minority that can. :thumbsup:
Critical listening for me isn't something that I can just sit and do every evening, all evening. There are many times my mind is preoccupied to the point where I'm lost in thought. The music is playing, but I'm not really hearing it. Often if the 'magic' isn't working I will give it a rest and go do something else out in the shop or something. And quite often I can focus intently on the music and all the detail is experienced but I can't maintain that for long, I sort of drift in and out. Then there are nights where the listening comes easy and even builds as the hours go by!
 
I taught a course on Aural Recognition (criticality listening) to over 2500 students, was also a lab rat in 3 of the studies used to develop the course. One of the big take-a-ways in that experience is that the majority of people can’t do it right out of the box. That said if you’re on an audiophile site your probably in the minority that can. :thumbsup:

Edit: and by “do it” I mean notice the small subtle differences in what they are hearing. Anyone (for the most part) can sit there and concrete or “actively” listen.
It kind of makes sense why the majority of music lovers out there are just fine with an inexpensive set, or even cheap ear buds. They (possibly) are not listening to the detail. Audiophiles on the other hand, for the most part, who have invested in their system, either financially, or time/trial and error (some say the process makes them miserable) are going after the details more than someone listening in their car, or a boom box is. There's no right or wrong here, just enjoyment of an audible art form.
 
It kind of makes sense why the majority of music lovers out there are just fine with an inexpensive set, or even cheap ear buds. They (possibly) are not listening to the detail. Audiophiles on the other hand, for the most part, who have invested in their system, either financially, or time/trial and error (some say the process makes them miserable) are going after the details more than someone listening in their car, or a boom box is. There's no right or wrong here, just enjoyment of an audible art form.
I kind of think that the thing that separates the audiophile from the rest of us isn't so much an interest in music, or even hearing the details of the music, but in being interested in the minutiae of the sounds, not just the content of the music. An audiophile is listening to the kind of extra-musical elements like the room sound and that sort of thing. I know that there folks are hard-core music fans who just don't put that much thought into these kinds of things and are listening more for the content rather than for the texture and unsurprisingly they generally don't bother with fancy audio gear...
 
Last edited:
If you are enthusiastic about high-fidellity music reproduction, you are an audiophile.

All of the negative characteristics that many folks attribute to the term (elitism, fanaticism, snobbery, more interested in gear than music, etc) may well describe some subsets of the group, but are not inherent in the definition.

For example, one might say "he is the kind of audiophile who uses music to listen to his gear", or "she is the kind of audiophile who spends more on interconnect cables that most people spend on their entire system". Such characterizations may be true to particular audiophiles, but are not pertinent to all audiophiles...and therefore cannot be extended as defining characteristics of an audiophile.

I would think that just about anyone who participates in this forum is an audiophile.
 
Last edited:
Audiophiles on the other hand, for the most part, who have invested in their system, either financially, or time/trial and error (some say the process makes them miserable) are going after the details more than someone listening in their car, or a boom box is.

Fussy guy here, I want my car system to always sound as good as is possible, as I'm in my car a fair bit; it usually delivers. Cheers.
 
I am glad I can enjoy a BT speaker, ear buds, the crappy stereo in my Jeep etc just as much as a great system. It all has it place for me :)

Ah, don't get me wrong, I'll enjoy whatever is at hand, no audio snob here. I just found that traffic snarls no longer bother me if I can find a playlist that fits, roll up the windows, and hammer the stereo. :D

Cheers.
 
I kind of think that the thing that separates the audiophile from the rest of us isn't so much an interest in music, or even hearing the details of the music, ............

I'm not sure who the rest of us are, but all of the non audiophiles I know are missing details in the music. Sometimes I will hear something new in a song I have heard many times in a lowfi setting. I was enjoying the music even though I didn't realize I wasn't hearing every detail.
 
That's what were after is the details.

My brother in law was over for a few days and when a record was spinning he was the first to the sweet spot. Made me feel good. He's smart geeky guy and said at the end of his 3 day stay thanks.
 
I'm not sure who the rest of us are, but all of the non audiophiles I know are missing details in the music. Sometimes I will hear something new in a song I have heard many times in a lowfi setting. I was enjoying the music even though I didn't realize I wasn't hearing every detail.
I'm making the point that there are two things at play; the actual content of the music and the textural element of the sounds themselves. It's that pure sound part of it that's a lot of what's interesting to me and why I like listening to music on decent gear. I've found that lots of other folks, even those who are really into music, don't care so much about that kind of thing.
 
We have some common ground. I listen at pretty low levels myself...and I enjoy the hell out of it. I don’t need loud to suspend disbelief. I also avoid loud talkers like the plague. My stepdaughters boyfriend is the loudest human being in the world. He can’t help it and he’s a nice young man...but one of the benefits of COVID-19 is not having to interact with him. I literally have a headache within minutes of talking with him. However, I love driving with the windows open...feel the wind. Then again I am reformed motorcyclist.

Working from home during the pandemic has been a true blessing for me. Some of the older engineers I interact with believe in being confident at all times (including in delivering a confident lie, when not knowing anything on the subject...:)). Part of that behavior involves projecting ones voice. These days all I have to do is to turn down the volume during our Zoom meetings...:)

I like to be outside as much as possible and the only possible connection with the surroundings while driving is this: Open up the sunroof, turn off the heat and turn on the heated seats...heaven.

My significant other does not allow motorcycles...

Soundork
 
Fussy guy here, I want my car system to always sound as good as is possible, as I'm in my car a fair bit; it usually delivers. Cheers.
Sure thing, and cars are now quieter inside so it helps to bring a nicer sounding system into that space. I don't have such a system in any of our cars, and since where I live you see a car about every 5 to 10 miles, I can get away with wearing noise canceling headphones, which takes out much of the road noise and sounds pretty ok. Of course in more urban areas doing that would get me pulled over and ticketed ..
 
If you are enthusiastic about high-fidellity music reproduction, you are an audiophile.

All of the negative characteristics that many folks attribute to the term (elitism, fanaticism, snobbery, more interested in gear than music, etc) may well describe some subsets of the group, but are not inherent in the definition.

For example, one might say "he is the kind of audiophile who uses music to listen to his gear", or "she is the kind of audiophile who spends more on interconnect cables that most people spend on their entire system". .

Reminds me of fishermen and their boats. Some fish to boat, and others boat to fish!
 
Back
Top Bottom