• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Crossover/Speaker rebuild

cleonjr

Super Member
It's me,Can I get some help on some old Harvard speakers I want to upgrade?I need some help with the crossovers,Should I stay with the original design or can I get a better sounding speaker from upgrading the caps to a more desirable crossover path.the woofer seems to be running wide open would a inductor help out on the low's?Also I need to add new tweeters can I use the ones in the pictures?I want to get a advent/Klh sound.

I am pretty much a klutz on this stuff but I want to make a solid effort to make these sound good.I know they were cediocre speakers at best but maybe a little fine tuning will help bring them to life.Appreciate all the help I can get,Thank's,Cleon

HPIM0194.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
HPIM0192.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
HPIM0193.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
HPIM0191.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
HPIM0190.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
HPIM0188.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
HPIM0186.jpg
[/URL][/IMG][/IMG]
HPIM0185.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
HPIM0184.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
HPIM0180.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
 
Register to hide this ad
Don't change the crossover or the tweeter. If you want that sound, buy those brands of speakers. The presence of only two capacitors leads me to believe this was a cheap speaker. Replace the caps if you really want to, just don't spend much or the money will be wasted in my opinion.
 
Don't change the crossover or the tweeter. If you want that sound, buy those brands of speakers. The presence of only two capacitors leads me to believe this was a cheap speaker. Replace the caps if you really want to, just don't spend much or the money will be wasted in my opinion.

Yea I am sure they were nothing special,you dont think those drivers can be helped to get better sound?I do not have the original tweeters so I have to go with what I have.this project will probally be hit and miss but I would like to give it a go.At least try and do some thing.
 
I did a rebuild on a pair of 3 ways recently, and they went from "nothing special" to "pretty darn good." Plus it was fun.
To keep it economical, check with Parts Express- their 3 way crossover is $20 (each) and they have drivers at all sorts of prices.
 
I think losing the L-pad's and adding a inductor to the woof would be a good start,maybe get a goldwood soft dome for 5 bucks each and a couple caps.would a inductor in the midrange andwoofer help and what value.I have a wide range of inductors already most are from quality crossover like kef and boston.
 
I take it the woofers and the mid's are Junk?I always thought they were halfway decent being vintage,Arent they alnico speakers?
 
I did a rebuild on a pair of 3 ways recently, and they went from "nothing special" to "pretty darn good." Plus it was fun.
To keep it economical, check with Parts Express- their 3 way crossover is $20 (each) and they have drivers at all sorts of prices.


Dayton crossovers? Um no. I find it ridiculous that PE (or anyone) sells those. When I first got into speaker building, I thought those would be a drop in and sound decent with anything. But those should not be recommended for almost anything as who knows how it would interact with the drivers.
 
Hey,

Hmm, that looks like a CTS (Chicago Telephone Service) woofer. I would keep that one. It may not look like much, but it's a very capable woofer. And, the enclosure was put together with that driver in mind.

I would suggest staying away from Pyle for your replacements. This opinion is based upon what I've read here.

Another suggestion is to follow other's opinions and call Parts Express and get yourself the replacement drivers and new crossovers from them. Sounds like a fun project to me!

Biggles
 
A workable upgrade.. !

You know... seeing your speakers and those cabinets really brings back memories :yes:!

Excuse the reminisce... Anyways, I just posted a suggested site for upgrades and "help"... which seems to be the route you'll need.

RE: https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com

These guys are great! You may email them and get suggestions or do the website and use their guides to improve your speaker system.

I admit, knowing a little about acoustics wouldn't hurt BUT you came here to Audiokarma .... and these posters are great too :banana:!
 
does anyone think a coil will help the low end it looks like it was ran at full range from the crossover,I was told the woofer was a early CTS speaker.
 
Well I am going to scuttle this project for awhile till I learn a little more,I still believe they can Shine with the right tuning.I can understand the lack of enthusiasm for them since they are average speakers and Most of the People here have the Popular speakers.But these Are my average Speakers and I will give them a shot in the dark to be something,If they belonged to some of you,You would feel the same way.I have always been the type of Guy that liked the underdog.But all is well and good I still love reading all the threads and drooling at the good stuff.I Love This Place,And things are Just what they are.
 
Back
Top Bottom