• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Crossover suggestions please!

sonix

Well-Known Member
I am in the process of building my own speakers and need advice on a nice modern cross over for my Mid Horn and Tweeter Horn speakers.

I have decided to not use the woofer from this set because it is only 40w Max and is 100DB efficient which produces very little base. Instead I am using 12" woofers from Infinity 1001A. The woofers are wired direct with no x-overs in the signal path, just the way they were in the Infinity 1001A boxes.

In my opinion the mid horn sounds to bright more like tweeter especially when I turn the subs off. (These are Bi-amped) So I need your help on a good cross over desing for the mid horn and tweeter. Maybe I can purchase one that is already put together without having to build one.:scratch2: I don't really like the attenuator pots in the original cross over boxes. All the caps are original in the network as far as I can tell.

I have included all the info on the horns and network in the links below. So for those of you with more experience, please look at the specs and give your suggestion for a better X-over network.

From my little experience I noticed that the simpler the design the better the sound.

http://audio-database.com/PIONEER-EXCLUSIVE/unit/dn-31-e.html
(X-over)

http://audio-database.com/PIONEER-EXCLUSIVE/unit/pw-30f-e.html (Woofer)

http://audio-database.com/PIONEER-EXCLUSIVE/unit/pm-500-e.html
(Mid Horn)

http://audio-database.com/PIONEER-EXCLUSIVE/unit/pt-7-e.html
(Tweeter Horn)

Looking forward to your suggestions:thmbsp:
 
Register to hide this ad
I can't open your links. But you'll need some measurement tool to have some success on this.

Take a look at ARTA software (no affiliation ), and build or buy a microphone. Search the web.

You need to measure the freqs response of your speakers, and tweak the crossover based on that, modify some capacitors or inductor values to get a flat response.

But measuring tools are the first step to build or modify a speaker.
 
I don't know why the links would not open. I tried and everything was good. I think your browser needs to be adjusted.

I was hoping for a simple crossover design, like something along the lines of Klipsch Forte II since mine are very similar in size. I don't really want to go crazy and use microphones and software even though I know this is an option.

Try my links again. They are current online. Any more thoughts or suggestions. I am looking for simplicity and practicality.

I think my next speaker project will not be using a crossover at all. I plan on using a full range driver for mids and highs and a woofer for the lows. I will be bi-amping also.

Any more suggestions?
 
Have you actually installed the horns exctly like the one's from the historic links ?
the mid-horn runs from 500 - 5000 and the tweeter goes from 1.4 kH up. This is not good. What enclosure and design for the infinity woofers, and what exactly are these woofers ?
 
The speaker boxes are 51" high by 22" wide by 14" deep. The mid horn starts 6" from the top of the speaker box. The tweeter stars 1 1/2" below the mid horn. The 12" woofer starts about 20" below the tweeter.

The boxes are fully enclosed with a divider for the woofer. The woofer enclosure is about 3' by 22" by 12.5" which is plenty and is also well damped.

The base sounds fine but the mid range sounds to bright. I will try to take some photos when I have a chance.
 
I can't open your links. But you'll need some measurement tool to have some success on this.

Take a look at ARTA software (no affiliation ), and build or buy a microphone. Search the web.

You need to measure the freqs response of your speakers, and tweak the crossover based on that, modify some capacitors or inductor values to get a flat response.

But measuring tools are the first step to build or modify a speaker.

Please check for pm

Q2
 
Your woofer seems to be a good one. Fs at 18-28 Hz is quite low, and 100db efficient are quite loud too!

If you don't want to mess with measurement tools, my best advice is to use everything as factory designed, stay with the original design.

You can't design a crossover without measuring the response. There are some simple tools to install in a smart phone. But you need to see what's happening at the crossover points, how each driver response overlaps in the xover region, also the output level of the different drivers, how to attenuate them if needed.
 
Back
Top Bottom