• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Crown CE2000 in the house!

I use four QSC pro amps in my main/HT system, and I have used two Crown Microtech 1200s in parallel mono mode in my 2-ch/bedroom system (to drive the fairly low impedance Thiel CS3.6 ~2.7 ohms).

The fans in the pair MT1200s are a bit too loud for the bedroom system and they're not of the type that are easily modded/replaced. The fan motors also act as a transformers to power other parts of the amp circuits. So, they're currently not used and may not again for that purpose. Allegedly Crown has more quiet fan blades but I have plenty of powerful amps so I'm not terribly motivated to spend money on these.

But, there is no doubt I believe one can have excellent performance by using pro amps at home.
 
So, this is it? Not much crown power amp owners here for home use? I know lot use them just for subwoofers but, is that it? I think they're worthy of much more...well, that's what I get from my ce2000.

I use four QSC pro amps in my main/HT system, and I have used two Crown Microtech 1200s in parallel mono mode in my 2-ch/bedroom system (to drive the fairly low impedance Thiel CS3.6 ~2.7 ohms).

The fans in the pair MT1200s are a bit too loud for the bedroom system and they're not of the type that are easily modded/replaced. The fan motors also act as a transformers to power other parts of the amp circuits. So, they're currently not used and may not again for that purpose. Allegedly Crown has more quiet fan blades but I have plenty of powerful amps so I'm not terribly motivated to spend money on these.

But, there is no doubt I believe one can have excellent performance by using pro amps at home.

I own XTI 4000 strapped in mono driving a 2 ohm load (twin 18" subs) though they are only rated for 2 ohm stereo or parallel, and 4 - 8 ohm bridged in mono. Nevertheless, the amp runs almost ice cold and the fan has only briefly turned on once when rocking the house. By the time the fan turned on, I was beaten to a pulp by the tight, chest pounding bass. When I bought my first Crown, both my QSC PLX 2402 and a Mackie 1400i went on the 'bay.

I own another XTI 4000 with a sister XTI 2000 running a PA and subwoofer for a mic'd drum set. Again, the fans briefly turn on only when the community is being severely punished.

Finally, I own two additional XTI amplifiers, one running twin 15" subs for my computer system, the other will run a set of rear channel speakers in my computer set up. Fans? What fans? They sleep.

These amps are incredibly flexible, offering DSP and Xover / Filter options other amps could only dream of. They are clean, quiet, powerful, and reliable. Too bad I am a die hard tube lover, or I'd use these for almost everything.
 
Last edited:
In my garage system I use a mix of Crown and QSC. I find the QSCs to sound better on the tops.

Pair of Crown CE4000s bridged mono on the pair of subs and in biamp, a QSC PL3.4 on the top cabinet lows and a QSC PL236 on the mid/highs. I have a third CE4000 I've tried on the tops for either the lows where it's pretty good and on the mid/highs where it's OK, but I keep coming back to the QSCs in those positions.
 
I just use it for overall music use. Tried bi amping pair of speakers before but that's bout it. I find the high frequency extension fine on the ce2000. Sounds super smooth too.

Just question. Is it normal for the transformer to run bit warm? It's not hot to touch or nothing. I just touched case earlier after watching movie and noticed left side where the transformer Is, Is bit warm.
 
I also agree these amplifiers are a good value. I've had three CE2000s over the years. Crown has for a VERY long time made excellent power amplifiers. I still have an MT2400 in the rack in my office system and I don't think I'll ever part with it. It has powered up to (16) subwoofers in my backyard during my annual 4th of July parties with temps up to 118 degF with nary a flinch. [Yes officer, I realize the music is loud . . .]

Crown will ALWAYS have my respect. Check out the Macro Reference and Studio Reference models for Crown's statement studio and home amplifiers. Crown can do bling . . . and quite well. I wish they still made a similar model.
 
I also agree these amplifiers are a good value. I've had three CE2000s over the years. Crown has for a VERY long time made excellent power amplifiers. I still have an MT2400 in the rack in my office system and I don't think I'll ever part with it. It has powered up to (16) subwoofers in my backyard during my annual 4th of July parties with temps up to 118 degF with nary a flinch. [Yes officer, I realize the music is loud . . .]

Crown will ALWAYS have my respect. Check out the Macro Reference and Studio Reference models for Crown's statement studio and home amplifiers. Crown can do bling . . . and quite well. I wish they still made a similar model.

The studio references look amazing. Had no idea they existed. I would love to get one of them but sadly probably never will be able unless I did some serious saving. The CE2000 is closest ill get to a top performing crown amp. The older big iron Marco's still go for good coin. Reason I could get the ce2000 at such killer price they're not well known as the other series.

Love my CE2000 though. Was very surprised by it's performance. Very clean sounding amp. I'll have no issues driving any speaker set into submission with this.
 
15s? Weak.


Agreed. Was thinking of an upgrade...




20c268220fec2a6ed1f2a6c8de005f5b_zpsb4a5c881.jpg
 
No need for that. Just get a rotary woofer and make sure you have a spare attic or basement for an infinite baffle then you're good to go.
 
Yeah, thoses looked like a pretty interesting gadget. Haven't been following subs as much as I use to. Are those rotary woofers still in the scene or gone by the wayside?

Most folks I was sorta following seemed likely to have the means for them, but went the way of multiple conventional subs and big-ass pro amps driving them.
 
Yeah, thoses looked like a pretty interesting gadget. Haven't been following subs as much as I use to. Are those rotary woofers still in the scene or gone by the wayside?

Most folks I was sorta following seemed likely to have the means for them, but went the way of multiple conventional subs and big-ass pro amps driving them.

I have no idea. Im not big subwoofer nut that much either. I knew they were used a lot in high end movie theaters and lot of people used them for home HT systems. I have no idea if they're still made or not.

Im happy with the performance of my technics sb7000a's 14" woofers. Has enough deep punch for my all around music listening. Might one day again try a subwoofer but for now I find no need for one.
 
Got to witness this rack of Crown CE amps (2000 and 4000 I think) cranked to just shy of clipping a while back (not my pic). Tri-amped system with the 4000s splitting bass duties.

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • DSC_7265.jpg
    DSC_7265.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 88
I used a Crown CTS 2000 to drive my original Carver Amazing Loudspeakers. I probably tried twenty different amplifiers on those speakers from Carver M4.0t to 1.5t, to bridged Soundcraftsmen MA5002s (not so stable) and bridged PCR800s (better but not enough headroom), SAE, Hafler, to Adcom 565s, to Audio Research Corporation D350.

The CTS 2000 was by far the most transparent sounding amplifier I have ever used. The Crown had excellent control of the bass too. Most amplifiers are not up to the task keeping a firm grip of the woofers. With the Crown the Carvers sounded totally effortless.

The CTS 2000 is called a class I amplifier.
It is rated at 675 wpc @ 16 ohms, and 1,000 wpc at all other impedances down to two ohms.
 
Last edited:
The CTS 2000 is called a class I amplifier.
It is rated at 675 wpc @ 16 ohms, and 1,000 wpc at all other impedances down to two ohms.

Class I is what Crown calls their, or at least some of their, versions of switching amps.

I believe the CE4000, iTechs, K-series, and the newer Macrotechs, are all "Class I" output stages. Not sure about some though, such as the XLS Drivecore, XTi, etc. re. what they're officially called regarding output topology.

So, for anyone that may have a "Class I" Crown they like, but questions or otherwise disparages switching amps, ya may want to reconsider that general position. ;)
 
Last edited:
Got to witness this rack of Crown CE amps (2000 and 4000 I think) cranked to just shy of clipping a while back (not my pic). Tri-amped system with the 4000s splitting bass duties.

attachment.php


Dang. My Mackie m1400 is sounding really lame to all those Crowns.
 
Got to witness this rack of Crown CE amps (2000 and 4000 I think) cranked to just shy of clipping a while back (not my pic). Tri-amped system with the 4000s splitting bass duties.

attachment.php


The bottom ones I believe are ce4000's. The ce2000 dosen't have the crown symbols in the front. Well, I know my CE2000 doesn't.
 
Class I is what Crown calls their, or at least some of their, versions of switching amps.

I believe the CE4000, iTechs, K-series, and the newer Macrotechs, are all "Class I" output stages. Not sure about some though, such as the XLS Drivecore, XTi, etc. re. what they're officially called regarding output topology.

So, for anyone that may have a "Class I" Crown they like, but questions or otherwise disparages switching amps, ya may want to reconsider that general position. ;)

Ain't switching amps class I? I read crown still makes the big iron macro techs but are anniversary editions and are priced extremely high.
 
Class I is a Crown thing, some sort of proprietary(?) spin on Class D/switching amp.

Crown made some Anniversary Edition Macrotechs some years back (2008) that had copper-ish colored faceplates, but I'm not aware of them still making big iron Macros. They could be, but not based on what's listed on their website for current models.

http://www.crownaudio.com/press/pr163/
 
Last edited:
Class I is a Crown thing, some sort of proprietary(?) spin on Class D/switching amp.

Crown made some Anniversary Edition Macrotechs some years back (2008) that had copper-ish colored faceplates, but I'm not aware of them still making big iron Macros. They could be, but not based on what's listed on their website for current models.

http://www.crownaudio.com/press/pr163/

You're right. I think I just mistaken an older post somwhere as being current. I guess it's too costly to make big iron models anymore. Also market wise, weight has lot to do with it I guess. The guy I bought the ce2000 off said carrying that and other 50lb amps were painful and tiring touring around but he loved the sound of them. Maybe that's why they went class I route.
 
Back
Top Bottom