• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Crown dc300a II vs Hafler D200

Afaik, transformer hum/vibration is usually caused by loose laminations. Usually it doesn't create a problem unless it bothers you.
 
so the hum isn't audible through the speakers? that's good. if it was, i'd suggest a grounding issue or excess ripple through a PS capacitor.
 
Is it possible to seal the outside of the transformer with epoxy to kill the noise, or will that kill the transformer? Could that cause excessive heat build up in the transformer? Thanks for all the help. This is really a great forum!
 
Very true. You could essentially use a Crown DC300 as a welding power supply they were so stable. Also to run a Leslie at an exact 60hz or whathaveyou. They have have amazing capabilities especially in the bass range because they would amplify straight down to dc with no problem.

I've seen some people complain about their supposed "grittiness" in the highs...I can only assume it would be because of the tremendous slew rate and damping factor they have (I'm not totally sure of the actual specs, somewhat of an assumption) causing the treble to be a little more pronounced than on usual amps. At $125 though - it is an excellent deal if in good condition. I would chance to take that above the Hafler personally if I had a choice.
I agree, I remember all too vividly what a DC300 driving a pair of Ohm A's sounded like over the whole spectrum. Extremely good response and clean as a whistle and of course had more than enough grunt to drive the power hungry Ohms to very respectable levels. I had a couple of Haflers back in the day and was quite happy with their performance for a long time. Can't speak to parts availability any more, but mine were both like tanks and never had any trouble out of them other than popping the rail fuse a couple of times. They tend to run hot due to the relatively high bias current on the outputs and as a result were not very efficient. Better than tubes of course but probably not by much :) - that said, for 125 greenbacks either would be a bargain if fully operational. I would think you could get competent service on either one if you live in or near a large city.
 
Back
Top Bottom