• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Crummy looking "RCA Living Stereo" LP plays great

Durski

Ex-teenager
Hi Everybody,

Received a shaded dog RCA Living Stereo LP today through the _Bay. Tchaikovsky's "Serenade for Strings" (LSC-2105). The seller said all his LP's were playable, VG quality. I was lazy and the price was $3 bucks so I never bothered to ask for more information about the condition.

The LP that arrived today was in a good, not VG, cover but had no sleeve. The vinyl looked less than Good. I figured oh well, $3 bucks, live and learn. I went ahead and cleaned the LP on my record cleaner. My turntable is a Super Scoutmaster. I was absolutely surprised. The sound was fine, very minimal surface noise and only a faint click or two.

My point, I have beautiful mint looking albums that aren't this quiet. I learn again that looks aren't everything. The music is beautiful and the recording was very well done.:banana:
 
Register to hide this ad
I have noticed this with older LP's and I don't quite know the reason for it. I have some old 50's and 60's jazz records in varying condition and one in particular, Third Stream Music by the Modern Jazz Quartet looks like you would expect all sorts of pops and clicks, but it is surprisingly silent. I have a brown Reprise label version of Jethro Tull's This Was that is like that as well with light surface scratches but a very clean playback. My Tull records on the green and later blue Chrysalis labels look perfect and are very noisy. I think sometime in the 70's they started making records on the cheap, which caused them not to be as resilient.
 
A record can have zillions of scratches but if they don't go deep enough into the groove where the stylus would hit them, they won't make any difference in how quietly the record will play.

A clean looking record can have other things going on like dirt in the grooves or pressing defects that will make them noisy.

Doug
 
Back
Top Bottom