• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

CS5000 Oil

I'm in the midst of giving my 'new' Dual CS5000 a good going over. I'm stuck on one thing. The dual reference site says that this turntable does not require oiling for the life of the unit. Problem is I read that after putting a couple drops of 'Home Depot' sewing machine oil on the motor bearing and down the spindle shaft. Knowing that these parts are pretty much irreplaceable, I'm looking for some guidance from other more experienced CS5000 owners.

Do I need to sweat it? Should I relubricate the motor and spindle bearings and if so with what?

Help please!
 
Register to hide this ad
I own one, and lubricated it when I got it and cleaned/tuned it up... never had any issue. I used the same light silicone oil that I use on my Linn and Rotel tables, the sewing machine oil should do no harm, either.

I sincerely doubt that when Dual stated that no lubrication would ever be required, that they did not figure that these units would still be in service 30 years later.

Parts are not unobtainable... there are several parts units at our local shop, and they turn up rather frequently on ebay as well. Parts are not necessarily going to be cheap, but they are fairly readily available.
 
The platter bearing is supposed to take some sort of special clingy oil that will stay put for a long time. I used chain saw bar oil on mine for the cling reason.
 
hi thanks for your replies. After a considerable amount of research this is the oil I went with in the end. For my Australian friends its available from a distributor in Melbourne.

fhawk618 - Do you have the email address for your local shop that has parts units? I need a part for one of the adjustable feet. Thanks
 
Back
Top Bottom