• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

CSN 1st album...signed!

Roving Sign

Active Member
Nice score this morning - we have a new thrift shop down the road.
This morning is their first day open. They had a pile of perhaps 10 records.
One got my attention...CSN first album with all three members signatures!
Looks like they are all from the same pen, done at the same time.
My informal analysis says they look very authentic.
(Also got a nice Apple label of "Let It Be" and Zeppelin's "TSRTS" and "ITTOD" - just not signed!)
 
Register to hide this ad
You might wanna see if maybe they are auto pen...

http://www.powell-pressburger.org/Images/People/Sigs/Autopen.html

Easy give aways: lines are uniform in thickness.. No light and dark areas through the signature where the pen has been lifted slightly or pressed in harder.

Dots or points at the end of a letter where the pen was to be lifted. The pen will stop at the end of a letter, leaving a small dot at the end of the line. A magnifying glass will show this easily... Very easy to spot this and know it's an auto pen.

THe two above are the easiest to spot and tell if you have an autopen signature or not.. I've seen a couple of signed albums, and one was an autopen... I've also seen a couple others, and on comparing the signature with a known signature from the artist, it was very clear the signature wasn't real. I've got a few like this in my collection.

Not saying yours aren't real, but I don't know too many people that would send a signed LP to a thrift..
 
I could see someone forgetting or passing away - and the albums go to the thrift. Not too hard to imagine.

One detail that is incosistient - but I think might add authenticity...Someone, either before the album was signed, or sometime later added "To Victor" above the sigatures in a different marker/pen that has faded quite a bit.

I'll post some pics later...
 
Adding a few pictures - I think these look pretty good.

csn01.jpg


csn02.jpg
 
Wow! One of my all time favorite albums and autographed by all three members. Hang that baby on the wall for sure! Judging by the later 70's Atlantic pressing, it was probably signed sometime after 77'. A fantastic thrift score and impressive rock memorabilia item!

The only autographed LPs I've ever seen at thrifts were signed by Frankie Yankovic, Ed Ames and people I've never heard of. Bought the Yankovic for my Grandfather! Congrats on scoring a great item at an unheard of price!
 
Wow! One of my all time favorite albums and autographed by all three members. Hang that baby on the wall for sure! Judging by the later 70's Atlantic pressing, it was probably signed sometime after 77'. A fantastic thrift score and rock memorabilia item.

The only autographed LPs I've ever seen at thrifts were signed by Frankie Yankovic, Ed Ames and people I've never heard of. Bought the Yankovic for my Grandfather! Congrats on scoring a great item at an unheard of price!

Thanks - that was my next line of thinking...what pressing is this, and when might it have been signed?

I noticed it is a cutout...which is surprising, But might also date it as well. Gatefold sleeve.
 
I sold a bunch of autographs to Rockaway Records in Glendale when I was in LA in the late 80's playing with The Peckinpahs (New West/alt country band). I had CSN signed by everyone but Stills, 2 Julian Lennon LP's, and 2 signed by Brian Wilson (Pet Sounds, S/T). I was between gigs and had to pay rent. I did save some, so it wasn't all in...
 
Excellent score! :thmbsp:

Signatured items are always cool to get, and you do have to watch out for those auto-pen ones (yours definitely looks real, and presumably authentic). Most of the ones I have were obtained first-hand, my favorite being a BB King. I used to have more, including one signed by Woody Herman and most of his Thundering Herd, but those (including the Herman one that brought back a lot of memories of a weekend spent with them, playing with them) burned in a house fire. :tears:

I learned from book-collecting days to always check for signatures, as well as first edition/first pressing markings, for any book that might have value. Guess it pays to check out LPs carefully, too!

People will throw out all kinds of things. Half-million-dollar paintings and antique porcelain vases have been found at flea markets and thrift shops. It often happens when the original purchaser dies, or things are unwillingly abandoned due to major shifts in health or finances (as on those storage-unit auction clearouts). Owners don't always know the real value of what they have. Occasionally, someone will knowingly throw out something of value, to let someone else "discover" it. or simply because they cannot be bothered to sell it. Not everyone is always driven purely by monetary value, and a given dollar amount means different things to different people.
 
Wow! One of my all time favorite albums and autographed by all three members. Hang that baby on the wall for sure! Judging by the later 70's Atlantic pressing, it was probably signed sometime after 77'. A fantastic thrift score and impressive rock memorabilia item!

The only autographed LPs I've ever seen at thrifts were signed by Frankie Yankovic, Ed Ames and people I've never heard of. Bought the Yankovic for my Grandfather! Congrats on scoring a great item at an unheard of price!

Frankie Yankovic. The heart of rock & roll is still beatin' - in Cleveland!
 
Back
Top Bottom