• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Curious about some old "composite" Cerwin-Vegas.

Artie

Super Member
I emailed CV about this, but they said they'ld need a pic to identify these. (Which seems odd considering their unique construction.)

We sold these in the late-70's. They were a grey composite material. Perhaps fiberglass. They had a 15-inch woofer with a pink surround. They had a small "horn-ish" piezo tweeter. (I think it was piezo. Maybe there were two.) I can't remember if there was a midrange. It was a floor-standing speaker that was approximately 4' tall and maybe a couple of feet square. (As viewed from the top.)

I can't find any reference to them in a Google search. Anyone ever seen these before, or know what I'm talking about?

Artie
 
Register to hide this ad
Thanks Dstarr. I think you're the first person who knew what I was talking about. I remember these as being bass/treble heavy, but were still "fun" speakers. Great for a rec-room. I was thinking of cloning a pair.
 
I have a pair,I recently found them at a thrift store. They also have rear port vents across the the entire bottom in the rear right?
I'm not sure if the tweeter screens are supposed to be concave or convex.Does anyone have any idea?
If they are supposed to be convex then my tweeters have been pushed in but evenly at least. I haven't heard them yet but I do know they're very heavy in the carrying dept. as well.
 
I have a pair,I recently found them at a thrift store. They also have rear port vents across the the entire bottom in the rear right?
I'm not sure if the tweeter screens are supposed to be concave or convex.Does anyone have any idea?
If they are supposed to be convex then my tweeters have been pushed in but evenly at least. I haven't heard them yet but I do know they're very heavy in the carrying dept. as well.

Would be cool if you could post pix for reference.
 
These are the ones I have. They came without the grills.
I bought some of those Parts Express metal mesh grills that just screw directly into the face of the speaker but haven't installed them yet.
What do you think, wood screw the aftermarket grills into the front to protect the drivers?
Maybe someone has a line on original grills for these.
On the other hand I could always patch the holes with fix all and paint them when they become incredibly valuable collectors items...;^)
 

Attachments

  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Yes they are. (Minus the odd-ball gray coating, of course.) Took me awhile to respond because we had a wicked electrical storm come through here yesterday and it knocked out my connection.

Its been so long since I've gotten to hear those, how is the bass? Is it "punchy", or "boomy"? I seem to remember it as being fairly tight, even though it is a 15-incher.
 
I must confess I haven't even heard mine yet but I'll be firing them up soon, maybe tomorrow, and I'll let you know what I think of the bass.
I'm hoping for tighter.
 
Well I hooked up my CV HEDs to an early 80's Denon DRA-30 33w per side receiver as that's all I had available and I've heard the CVs are very efficient.
I wanted to see what they would sound like with a lower wattage amp first anyway.
I have them on a 3/4 enclosed deck that is facing to the out of doors so I can't really say if the bass is boomy or tight inside a room.

When I first hooked them up the right woofer wasn't working I took them apart and found the leads were not hooked up on that woofer. That's probably why I got them at a thrift store for cheap. I noticed that while the woofer had a cast frame but it wasn't very heavy and didn't have the largest magnet.
I hooked up the woofer, used dexoit on the tweeter pots and wherever else I could as the crossovers are attached to the speaker plates that screw on from the outside and are easy to get to.I tightened up the terminal screws, hooked them up to 14g wires and they fired up like new.
I couldn't get the volume up passed three without almost blowing my self away. I was starting to hear some distortion at about 4 ( I stretched it) but I suspect that was coming from the receiver as much as the speakers.
I turned the tweeter pots down about 1/4 as the highs were definately present close up. I found I really liked the sound at about 2- 2 1/2 on the volume with the amp's loudness control on. They sounded almost elegant even if they have what another AK described as an "all bass and highs sound".
I messed with the tone controls on the amp as I know from my guitar amps that you can cut the lows and highs and what is left are boosted mids.
I finally left the tone controls flat with loudness on, volume about 2 1/2 for my tastes, seated 4 feet in front of them on the deck ( it's a short deck sorry)
When I went outside to find an AC connection for the Denon under the deck and had cranked them to about 4 - 4 1/2 again I walked about 40 feet in front and 10 feet below the deck.
I was listening to a local FM radio station playing the Stones,Steve Miller, Jimi Hendricks, Cindy Lauper (singing the blues) with some Dr John for good mix and I really thought they sounded great for I hate to say it .....Party speakers!
I didn't notice any glaring boominess or flabbyness yet they weren't what I would call tight in the bass either.......... they were loud!
Could have been the source material ya think?
I'm 56, a jazzer, and haven't played stereo speakers very loud, outside, or thrown a party for longer than I care to remember. But I was having fun regardless.
I'd say if you were to put them in a den you could melt the skin off your face real quickly. Maybe with carpeting it would be different ,
For me I think they'll stay on the deck facing outside at least until I can try some better quality amps, more power at lower and or higher volumes and maybe get a different result in the bass.
Can't really say it it was loose or flabby or tight with that amp at least at 2 it wasn't bad.
 
with a thirty watter they should be able to go past 3 easily enough. Ive hurt my ears in the bass department with a 39 watter(sansui 2000x) wqith bass boosted and a few more decibals boosted. Granted the speaker was a KLH model 8840 and a smaller advent.
 
Oh they'll go past three alright, I just don't want to be only 3 feet in front of them at much higher volumes.
I could have been having reception problems with the FM transmission as I'm in the sticks and the signal fades but that station I used to listen to is closer than most .
It's really not fair to judge them without a better source, a CDP etc, which I'll do soon I suppose.
I'm no expert on louder bass evaluation of hi fi speakers yet, whether they're flabby, flubby, or tighter etc. but I'm becoming more aware.
I do try to notice if I can hear the bass line/ part clearly though and that I could.
 
That sounds right for how I remember them. They are indeed, great "party speakers". Nothing wrong with that. In their original form, you could set a beer on them without worring about "rings".

Thanks for the review. (I'm a 56-year-old blues/jazzer myself.) :smoke:
But I throw in a little trance/dance from time to time also.
 
I live in a tiny town on the Nor Ca coast where folks retire
and the thrift stores and estate sales are better than
you would expect for vintage hifi.
What do you think would be a good amp/ power rating
to run the HEDs best?
On a quick aside, You're a guitarist as well?At the local
roadhouse last night after my dinnerhouse jazz gig) I,
along with twenty five other people, saw and heard the
Michael Landau group play for 3 hours.
Talk about trance dance! Blues, Jazz!
OMG, I am not worthy!
 
IIRC, those are fairly efficient. Anything from 30 - 100 WRMS, should be fine. 50W would probably be my prefered minimum, however.

I "play" guitar only to the extent that I can test guitars that I rewire. I don't play "out", and I can't really play any songs per se. I just pick along to songs I play on the computer.

Sounds like a sweet Saturday night. :thmbsp:
 
Back
Top Bottom