• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Curtis Mathes tube console...No sound on phono

Cbesing

New Member
Just purchased CM tube console. FM sounds great. No sound from phono. I plugged in newer yamaha TT with preamp and still nothing. Any ideas on where to start the process of elimination? Very new to this but can't wait to spin some memories....
 
Register to hide this ad
many factors

Just a little background info. I am not expert but have managed to fix a few things and learned a few things.

Is the CM phono input a ceramic cartridge or magnetic? The old tube stuff was in the days of ceramic and they didn't need a phone pre-amp in the circuit, so plugging a "new" magnetic TT into the input won't work without a phono pre-amp. Ceramic was about the same line level as a AUX input, so plugging a CD into it would be one test.

The old tube stuff is, well, old. So a bad capacitor is very possible, the old caps were a bit crude. A bad resistor is also possible as well as a bad tube. The phono circuit is suspect but its probably best on the old tube stuff to replace all the old electrolytic and wax paper caps (coupling caps?) right off the bat. Its a bit of work and figuring out all the values without a schematic can be a challange. Even with a schematic, things can be confusing due to "changes".

One nice things about the tube stuff is that they are "exposed" so you can sort of follow the connections from the input through the circuit and wonder about everything in the circuit having failed.

It would be nice to test all the tubes first, but having or finding a working tube tester is tricky these days.
 
Thanks for the advise. I did use a preamp when I connected my yamaha TT and still nothing. It was odd though, when I hooked the preamp and TT to the tape input, I got sound but not full power. Also, the selector switch had to be on Phono and not tape for it to work...
 
things

Like I said, the tubes are suspect, the caps and resistors too. She's an old dog.

It seems to me that there may have been different tape signal types back in the day. I've seen odd things on the really old units.

Unless someone here pops up with a lot of knowledge, it could be a long fun project getting it all up to snuff. I've been reading and searching here for over 2 years and just getting a little "learned up". Managing to fix a lot of stuff has helped with the educatrion.
 
Have you cleaned the selector switch? Could simply be that its all crudded up and causing your issues.
 
Back
Top Bottom