• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Custom Klipsch KG 5.5 Center Speaker

blue72

Active Member
Four months ago I stumbled across a minty pair of Klipsch KG 5.5 towers in light oak at a local thrift store. I hadn't ever seen any Klipsch gear in this area before, and I knew I had to have them. One hundred and one smackers later, I loaded them (and a vintage gray felt Stetson fedora in my size, beautiful thing) into a shopping cart and out the door. The speakers had an initial workout in my front room, and everything was functioning perfectly. The only attention they needed was a wipe-down with a damp cloth and a quick application of oil before they looked like new once more.

blue72_kg55_single.jpg


My front room is in the middle of ongoing renovations, so it has bare wood floors and no drapes. Above a certain volume level, the horns sound really, really harsh and uncomfortable in this space. At lower volume levels though, they sound quite good. After much contemplation and back-and-forth, combined with the fact that they are a two-way design and don’t have a dedicated horn midrange, I decided that they would probably not replace my main stereo speakers in the furnished and better damped listening space. What to do with them instead? Well, I figured that if nothing else, they would work really well as home theatre mains. The only problem was that I didn’t happen to have a center speaker to match them. Further research ensued. I learned that the big, bad boy center of this era in the Klipsch world is the KLF-C7, which came out with the successor KLF series of speakers. A 1” compression driver/horn and two 8” woofers makes for a big box, big sound, but also a big price tag. It would have taken me a long time to scrimp up the pocket change to buy a C7 outright (The most money I’d ever spent on a pair of speakers was to acquire this 5.5 set in the first place). I resigned myself to the fact that it would be a nice long time before I could get a decently close counterpart for my KG 5.5 speakers.

Eventually, the thought occurred to me, “what if I had an exact match for the center channel instead?” Frequency response from 34 Hz - 20 kHz, +/- 3dB out of the center sounded tantalizing. Hmm, how much would it cost to buy just the guts of one KG 5.5? More than I wanted to spend again, at least based on the stuff that was on the ‘bay or online classifieds at that point in time. I’d also have had to buy different components from multiple sellers just to get a full set. Buying another pair of KG 5.5 was out of the question too, based on cost and distances involved. Weeks went by, but the idea of having the front three speakers as an exact match was stuck in my head and going nowhere. I’ve had a Boston Acoustics 525V center (¾” dome tweeter, single 5.25” woofer, 5.25” passive radiator) paired with their HD10 mains, and while the center was admirable for most things, it just seemed to color certain voices. I’ve also tried a Bose 301 series IV bookshelf acting as the center channel (single 8” woofer, 2” and 3” tweeters pointed at 45 degree angles) paired with Bose 10.2 towers as my home theatre fronts, and while a number of the internal components are fairly close to each other, the inability of the center channel to keep up with the full scope and range of the main L&R speakers still gets to me. If I was ever to upgrade my center channel, I wanted something with parts that were entirely and exactly the same. Trying to combine the premise of minimal compromises and a strict budget is tricky.

Well, the other week I was finally able to make the confluence of spare cash and a willing seller happen. Shipped to my door were a crossover, complete horn, and two woofers that had been rescued from a KG 5.5 with a trashed cabinet in California. Last week I bought my first ever sheet of ¾” MDF and started a cuttin’.

blue72_kg55_front_panel_begin.jpg


The plan is to keep the same dimensions and construction technique as the original KG 5.5, but arrange the components D'Appolito style and lay the box on its side. I’d have loved to just build another upright tower, but space constraints will not allow for that. Most likely it will be placed below the TV, and pointed up at the listener's ears. By locating the horn as high as possible on the front panel, I hope to eliminate as much of the height difference as I can between the center and L/R speakers.

The only other concern of mine was off-axis issues for people who aren’t seated directly in front of the center speaker. I know that it is a major sore spot people have with MTM designs. I’ve calculated that with a 30-degree spread, it’ll give me a 4-5’ wide spot on the couch where everyone should hear things just fine without much if any lobing from the woofers. Sounds like a decent enough acquiescence. I did consider other arrangements, like a nearly square box with the two woofers vertically stacked one one side and the horn on the other. I could even have cut and angled the front baffle inward a little on each side for greater dispersion, but I don’t think those will really be necessary. Plus, I didn’t want to mess with calculating new box dimensions.

Here's how things were shaping up on Thursday morning. I had just finished the 4” hole for the port with my fancy-dancy homemade circle cutting jig before heading off for work.

blue72_kg55_front_panel_cuts.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
Plenty of sawdust was flying in my workshop this weekend. I made the sides of the box to the correct dimensions by clamping a straight 1x4 to the MDF sheet and using it as a guide for my circular saw. After I had those pieces made to size, it was time to cut a 45° angle on the edges that would form the mitre corners. This called for tilting the bed on my table saw and some creative clamping to the crosscut sled.

blue72_kg55_angle_saw.jpg


With careful measuring and a steady hand, I now had this stack of parts:

blue72_kg55_angle_boards.jpg


There were still two more cuts that each of these boards needed. The front and rear panels of the KG 5.5 are recessed. This meant a ¾” deep x ⅜” wide groove needs to be put on each forward and rearward facing edge. Once those were out of the way, it was time to test fit everything together. One minor problem though, I didn’t have any corner clamps. After about 20-30 minutes with some 2x4s, the chop saw, and a handful of long wood screws, I was in business.

blue72_kg55_custom_clamps.jpg


All that was needed after that was the gluing and clamping of the rear panel, some internal corner bracing, the addition of the crossover / speaker connectors, and finally, the front panel.

blue72_kg55_front_clamp.jpg


Vintage Cerwin Vega speakers are always willing to lend a helping hand.

As of this morning before work, I was battling a clogged spray can. I had hoped to have the front and rear faces finished in black before bringing this box in the house for some testing this evening. Initial impressions may have to wait until tomorrow. As for the fit and finish of the cabinet so far though, I have been very pleasantly surprised about how precisely I was able to get everything to fit together. I hadn't undertaken a big job like this before, what with mitre corners, recesses, and everything relying on the box being straight and true.
 
On Monday evening I got the primer and black spray cans both unclogged (thanks to YouTube, an air compressor, and a tire valve stem from my patch kit) and laid down a quick masking job with some uncooperative tape before spritzing. Yesterday was the moment of reckoning. I hooked up the internal wiring in the cabinet, moved all the Klipsch KG speakers to the media viewing area, and began unhooking all of the AV equipment. The spot where this center channel now sits was occupied by an AVR or two, a Blu-ray player, and a few other things until last night. Those are now up much higher, where my little girl can't crawl over to them and pull all the knobs off when we're not looking.
blue72_kg55_test_fit.jpg

That's as she currently sits for testing. The proper size port is ordered and on the way. The cabinet is resting on top of some 2x4 pieces with elastomeric dampers (rubber bands) for now until I cut a pair of properly angled stands for it. Future plans do include an accurately sized grille and genuine oak veneer.
When performing initial setup with the AVR last night, I reset the levels for each of the front 3 channels to be the same and was pleasantly surprised to finally hear the test tones come through at identical volume levels. Every other setup I've used in the past had to have the center channel boosted considerably in relation to the L&R speakers. I threw in a Blu-ray and my wife was the first to say, "Hey, that actually does sound different".
 
Looking good. Necessity.........the mother of invention.

This sure has been a fun excuse for invention.

I got the port a week ago and hammered it into place. Then I did some calculations and cut quick stands at a 12.5° angle to get the horn firing at the listeners' ears. This weekend I bought grill fabric and constructed a frame for the grill itself. The kiddo only managed to grab a fistful of fiberglass two or three times before the grill was ready.

blue72_kg55_grill_off.jpg


I had to freehand some reliefs with a router where the woofer surrounds, the port tube, and the horn intruded. I also cut some thin oak for the front fascia, applied a coat of clear, and glued it on.

blue72_kg55_grill_on.jpg


I'm currently waiting on some neodymium magnets to hold the grill firmly in place. The only other thing that I will want to do eventually is to veneer the whole rest of the box itself, brace the stands, and maybe acquire a Klipsch badge to stick on it.

As far as the sound goes, I am still extremely pleased with this setup for movie watching. This weekend I found Pacific Rim on Blu-ray at a thrift store for $4 and had a jolly time being immersed in the kaiju vs. jaeger goofiness. Last night we had some friends over and watched Zootopia on Blu-ray. The sounds coming from the center channel are still very clear and uncolored. Off-axis clarity is even pretty good at the far ends of the couch. The match across the front speakers keeps me more focused on what is happening in the story instead of being as distracting as it once was. My only complaint seems to be a characteristic of this particular Klipsch product. Above a certain volume level I think that they still sound overly harsh and compressed. I've tried them on two different amplifiers, and in two very different rooms, but experienced the same thing each time. I've only gone to that volume for brief testing, and I don't like to listen at rock concert levels at home, so everything should still be fine for any movie we're going to watch.
 
Yep. If I ever get a projector and AT screen, then I could cut a new front baffle and reconfigure this center as a floorstander, but for now it sits below the TV.
 
Very cool.

I predict Crites diaphragms would tame the horn harshness you were hearing. Worked wonders for my 4.2's. You can probably buy 3 of em from Bob, he's a nice dude.
 
Hi there,
I love your centre and wish I could accommodate a matched front KG 5.5 system.

I too experienced the harshness in my KG's but knew they had greater potential.

I added some "lpad modules" I made up out of resistors for about $1.5 per speaker and can say (in my opinion) the KG's are supremely refined even at extreme levels. I'm driving mine with a crown xls2500.

If you are interested you can read about my mods and impressions here:
https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/168930-kg-55-update/

Hope this helps you get similar joy from your KG's as I've gotten from mine and would be great to hear back if you do try this.
 
If you are interested you can read about my mods and impressions here:
https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/168930-kg-55-update

Some nice work for sure. I too had to repair a broken tinsel lead on one of my K-85-K diaphragms. Not fun.
I've never really planned to do any modifications to my 5.5s. Even the Crites tweets would be more than I would want to do. Now that I've been listening to this set daily with TV, movies, and music, the horn harshness that was distracting at first doesn't even really register on my radar anymore. I sure do enjoy the sensitivity and the dynamic range these speakers add to movies though. I recently added some 97 dB efficient, full-range speakers as my side surrounds which upped the experience even more. My current plan is actually to go full-bore overboard and build a matching trio of DIY JuBelles to have a fully horn-loaded front stage to match my folded horn THTLP subwoofers, but that'll be some ways down the road and in another room of the house.
 
I bought 4.2's new in '91 and about 5 years ago I decided to recap them. I got a little help in the top end (some of the sparkle came back) but there was still a bit too much in the electric guitar range, making it a little harsh sounding. I decided to do the diaphragms, and it made a much bigger difference than the caps did. They had lost (or never had?) a LOT of top end sparkle that was now there, and at the same time the harsh midrange was more where it should be. I can highly recommend those titanium diaphragms. Of course everyone's ears are different so if you like em, enjoy. Just sharing my experience.
 
I know this is an ancient thread, but I just came across it and had to say: Awesome and well done.
 
Blue72. Really nice work creating the center channel speaker. Was that a CV R-10 as a helper?
R123 actually. I refoamed them and a pair of basically identical U123 and have them sitting, waiting to one day be used as Atmos overhead speakers. I'm now addicted to high sensitivity all around.
 
Had a pair of R-10's (10 inch woofer,tweeter). They could play DSOTM. Shook the house from the basement to the 3rd floor. With only 40 Nad watts (3140).
 
Back
Top Bottom