• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Custom made Speaker stands...what would you pay?

Solid walnut stands for $84 shipped? Lets break that down real quick. He is going to use aboit 4 board feet of lumber per 2 stands. Lets say he gets a good price at $4 per bdft. $16 in lumber. Then you have a bunch of small costs to consider. Wear and tear to saw blades, planer and jointer knives. Shop materials including sandpaper, glue, and fasteners. Finishing supplies. Its hard to estimate this cost per pair. I'm going to go low and say $2.. He is also shipping them. With packaging and post, $20 per isnt out of line. EBay and PayPal fees equal roughly 15%. Thats another $12.60.

Thats $50.60 in cost to produce those stands. That leaves $33.40. Take taxes out of that, and hes pocketing about $20 per pair.

I am a furniture maker. I know how much time and effort you need to put in to produce high quality items.. I could not make those stands at that price and feel good about myself. Im not running a production shop, and I certainly dont want to need to produce 30 pairs of those in a day to make a living.

$20 shipping and packaging is low. OK, slim pickings for the Canadian. Slim pickings for the OP as well. Plumbing nipples and end pieces are not cheap.
 
If you decide to get serious consider the following:

Too much competition from over there.

A large local sales base needed.

limited buyer base due to changing audio needs.

Red tape and insurance cause problems.

Recall or send backs a headache.

Payment systems all want their piece of the action.

Advertising to get the word out.

Reliable/local part sources.

Production/storage space and required industrial grade equipment.

Lawyers in place to deal with licenses/trademarks/dealers/warranty/taxes/etc.


"On the side".
..OK, if you think of it as a hobby, have great neighbours:D and deal in cash.

Good luck on your venture.

Q
 
Sorry to tell you this but those stands look kind of wobbly to me.

I'm pretty sure the stands feel solid, but above is the first thought that came to me, too. Without the cross support and just those vertical beams, it "looks" unstable.

I also agree with what balifly suggested. That type of risers are very attractive and super stable. Also consider the JBL and Acoustic Research type stands as well. They're much easier to construct and much more popular. I've seen diy versions of such stands sell very well - including here in AK barter town if I remember correctly.

If you have spare time and are looking to make something, consider turntable plinth and arm board as well. For example, diy Thorens plinth sell well especially when made with exotic woods.
 
I'm pretty sure the stands feel solid, but above is the first thought that came to me, too. Without the cross support and just those vertical beams, it "looks" unstable.

I also agree with what balifly suggested. That type of risers are very attractive and super stable. Also consider the JBL and Acoustic Research type stands as well. They're much easier to construct and much more popular. I've seen diy versions of such stands sell very well - including here in AK barter town if I remember correctly.

If you have spare time and are looking to make something, consider turntable plinth and arm board as well. For example, diy Thorens plinth sell well especially when made with exotic woods.

Not the question that was asked, but thanks for your input.
 
Solid walnut stands for $84 shipped? Lets break that down real quick. He is going to use aboit 4 board feet of lumber per 2 stands. Lets say he gets a good price at $4 per bdft. $16 in lumber.
I got 3 board feet which will help hum buy a beer, maybe.

Assuming 15" front and back pieces x 4 which are 4" wide using 1" wood
Assuming 12" connectors x 4 which are 2" wide and using 1" wood

Buying more finished to size wood is more expensive so there won't be much difference from your number and mine, just that beer.

Sorry about taking the thread in a different direction since you want answers to potential buyers to name a price. I'll post other stand ideas separately.
 
I got 3 board feet which will help hum buy a beer, maybe.

Assuming 15" front and back pieces x 4 which are 4" wide using 1" wood
Assuming 12" connectors x 4 which are 2" wide and using 1" wood

Buying more finished to size wood is more expensive so there won't be much difference from your number and mine, just that beer.

Sorry about taking the thread in a different direction since you want answers to potential buyers to name a price. I'll post other stand ideas separately.

You are not taking into account any waste. When buying rough sawn lumber I always factor in about 25% waste..
 
My 2¢. Those are nice looking DIY stands, especially if it matches your home decor. I would not pay money for them though, because it is too easy of a DIY and the parts are too recognizable, and locally available. As a matter of fact I am probably going to make some of these for my newly aquired NS-1000's and NS-500M's. I like the idea of being able to purchase different length pipe to adjust height. I have used pipe for a lot of projects, this is a great DIY idea. If it was super easy to change the pipes it would be even cooler. I'm thinking of making the top piece with counter bored holes that the floor flanges fit in to, so that screws are not needed. At least for the trial stage when adjusting the height a lot. Once height is determined, then screws if needed. If you were going to try to make money doing this, I would worry about how many customers there are.
 
Back
Top Bottom