• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Custom Monitor Elites by Audio Mart w/Heils

The crossover points would be different from the AMT3, as the Audax is a pure midrange driver-not midbass.
As far as the volume on the woofer, use a speaker box desingner with your woofer t/sp specs and figure out what volume is ideal.
This speaker is sealed, so volume in the ball park of your woofer's specs should be fine. The added wood alos adds in preventing the internal pressure of that huge woofer causing the cabinet to flex.
Awesome speakers!
 
I remember these guys ... based in KC,Mo if I recall. Got my heils through them back in the day. They also were working on a revamp of the monitor speaker too. They loved the Gauss drivers. (might still have the propaganda on that around here someplace ... I'll have to look for it)
 
Very nice looking speakers; construction appears to be well done also and they look good with your other chest between them. Of course the 9090 is always a plus !!!
 
i had toyed with the idea of using speakerlab woofers sealed in one of their blank cabs and mounting a heil on top, but i had no where near the funds way back then!

Awesome speakers you have there! i wish i had been able to score a pair of those a while back.
 
Personally I wouldn't waste my time trying to convert a dual woofer AMT3 cabinet to a Monitor Elite.
They had different drivers, and a semi outboard crossover, with different specs, and the cabinet was wider to accommodate the 15" woofer.
You are better off going the route I did, with bracing the front baffle, adding the Dayton ST 255-8 woofers, Eminence Alpha 6a, and adding 2 3x6 inch ports to the rear, and putting some nice caps, and new inductors in the crossover.
These drivers work well with the stock AMT3 crossover perimeters.
Line the interior with Auralux 2" foam, and add foam block around the Heil.
Still a huge amount of work, but a lot less then building a new inner box.
At that point you might as well build a whole new cabinet.
I can't tell you how they compare to the Dayton Eminence setup. but I have heard few speakers that can really compare to my modded AMT3's.
The mods addressed the few shortcoming with the O.E. AMT3's, already a great speaker.
They are that good, if you do your home work. The Daytons, and Eminece for that matter, IMHO are really under-rated drivers, that have seemed to have flown under the radar for years.
And IMHO at really affordable prices considering their performance.
This woofer really kicks some tail.
Smooth, efficient, musical, and very low distortion when used correctly.
And the best part is they match up perfectly with the Great Heil-NOT a easy feat in my experience.
In my experience twin woofers can really add some body and depth to a speaker. And one that is hard to recreate with a single driver, especially large woofer.
 
Last edited:
Very nice! That's the way ESS should have built them. One problem. The tweeter is backwards.
 
Beautiful speakers!

I have a pair of HEIL Elites, by Audio Mart, the cabinets are the same, but mine don't have the side cutouts and they are a two way with Altec 416-8b 16" woofers.

I was thinking about converting them to three ways. Any tips would be appreciated.
 
Back
Top Bottom