• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

DAC using TDA1540 that I can connect to a PC?

Nowhere quickly I'm sure, just based on how quickly I do things with projects. Just in the loose planning stage currently.

these are plastic chips.
 
I'm the same, I take a long time to complete projects, have a TDA1541 DAC to build, have the bare PCB and a completed output stage plus a HDMI to i2s board, still need to buy parts and populate the PCB and get a case and transformer.
 
This would probably start life as just a board laying on the bench or screwed to a chunk of wood just to see how it works. Maybe if I like it, I'll try knocking together a tube audio stage for it. Its the case work that I really tend to drag my feet on.
 
Not a cheap option but could be a possibility and you could use the stock boards.

If yours is one of the Philips/Magnavox top loaders I found a filthy lid switch was why mine wasn't reading cds. The switch has to make good contact or else the laser shuts off.
 
Its a front loader. It attempts to read and then fails. Pretty sure its beyond salvation at this point. I tried cleaning the lens at some point and it fell apart.

Lacking a CD library, honestly I don't care about fixing it to work as a CD player. Its about as much use to me as an 8 track or VHS machine.
 
The TDA1540 has potential if implemented well - and emphasis on "well".

My current DAC is a modern design using a TDA1541A in NOS with a very clean power supply and careful attention to design on both the digital output and analogue output stages and it sounds just superb.

If you're going to add a USB board to an existing kit via i2s, get yourself a GOOD quality USB board otherwise it will act as a bottleneck to sound quality. The Amanero 384 is a great starting point.
 
I've been bitten by the vintage CDP movement and have acquired a few. There have been a few I've not been able to resurrect, and have been down the path you are taking.
The tda1541 and pcm56 are the two easiest to get boards for. The tda1540 (DAC board), I feel is coming, but may take a couple of years to show up on the market. There is a growing interest and momentum for this niche product.

For USB input you will need i2s, if the board doesn't have onboard connection.

And yes be prepared for casework gripes.
 
Last edited:
I've been bitten by the vintage CDP movement and have acquired a few. There have been a few I've not been able to resurrect, and have been down the path you are taking.
The tda1541 and pcm56 are the two easiest to get boards for. The tda1540 (DAC board), I feel is coming, but may take a couple of years to show up on the market. There is a growing interest and momentum for this niche product.

For USB input you will need i2s, if the board doesn't have onboard connection.

And yes be prepared for casework gripes.
They are not coming, they have been around a while now, I have one like below but with the optional discrete output stage and i2s over HDMI input.

The board accepts i2s input so you can add a USB to i2s interface to it.

 
I have one of those boards coming.

I wonder if they come without the ICs on board.
Probably need to source those separately.
 
I have one of those boards coming.

I wonder if they come without the ICs on board.
Probably need to source those separately.
The Create-Dream one?
They will likely have the TDA1540P chips installed, I had to pay extra for the TDA1540D chips.
 
Back
Top Bottom