• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dad picked up some electrostatic speakers for free

wiredbecker

...jams ECONO!
Subscriber
So I'm talking gear with my father on the phone. First thing he tells me is his neighbor passed and that he picked up some electrostatic speakers free. First thing I think is "OH MY GOD are they Quad ESLs?" He laughed as he wandered off to the basement. Unfortunately they're not Quad ESLs. They're some kind of Jensen electrostatic model. "Z500? Z600?", he said. I've been poking around online but I can't find any info. I'm not even sure if I spelled Jensen correctly. Jensen? Jantsen? Jentsen?

Anyone have any clue what these things could be?
 
Register to hide this ad
Will do. I'm headed back to Michigan in the spring. I'll get pictures of pop's system. Found out last weekend that he owns Bozak Concert Grands! Had 'em since the 70's. I had no idea they were CGs because he opted for the more modern grill cloth at purchase time. These speakers are amazing to me.
 
Janszen z-600 check the back see if they were made nashiminy or electronic industries this will help date these ,I have some janszens very difficult to drive them , the only amp that has done them justice is a sansui au-9500.you will find some info around Just real music sells rebuild parts for the power supplys as these often need to be rebuilt.
 
I just got a pair of Janszen Z-400s about a month ago. They have electrostatic midrange and tweeter arrays and a dynamic woofer (10" I think). They sound extremely smooth and nonfatiguing, but will not get extremely loud without a considerable amount of power.

Today, I spoke with the head of marketing in North America for Tannoy, who remembered them. He described them in the same way as I have experienced them. Well worth it. They do not sound up front and treble-oriented like many modern speakers, but the sound can become very appealing, especially with classical and jazz. Give them a try.
 
Thanks for the links. I've had the opportunity to listen to them now for about three weeks and they sound mellow and, in an odd way, intimate. They do not reach high sound levels without some substantial volume control boost, but I do not usually listen to a lot of music that ordinarily requires that approach. I would describe their sound as insinuating - they seem to get into your head.
Now, I've got some wonderful KEF, Tannoy, Fisher, Bozak, Klipsch, Mission, and Omega speakers, but these Janszens make their presence known. And to think someone left them out on the curb for trash pick-up.
One day, I may switch them into one of my tube-based systems to see how that would affect them.
 
I have a pair of JansZen Z-600 loudspeakers. Didn't like them until I hooked them up to my Magnavox tube amp. Now I love them! They didn't seem to like the SS stuff that I had hooked them up to before. IIRC they were made around 1962.
 
I have tried many amps on my Janszens and they require the correct amp to get good sound, let me share tried akai am2800 ,kenwood,carver, sansui b series ,fisher 500b,pioneer, phase linear anything from 30 watts to 200 watts, and then doucanoe here had a sansui au9500 and we gave that a try it was amazing the sound , now each amp had very different results either sounded like voicing was too far back some too far forward some amps could not drive any bass some the highs were just horrible any ways you get the idea,now I agree the sound is not in your face so as of now I just aquired some altecs and am liking these alot, if I could put speakers in open area in living area and not a designated listining area I think the electrostats would be wonderfull do to the sounstaging since mine actually fire out the front and the rear.Good luck
 
Back
Top Bottom