• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dahlquist DQ-10 midrange identity and questions.

jamiecantar

Well-Known Member
Just acquired an original untouched pair of Dahlquist DQ-10's. They look like first generation. After closer inspection and testing I found both Philips tweeters blown and one woofer had a deteriorated surround. I replaced them with some temporary tweeters and a Fostex woofer until I repair the originals...

Anyone know what they used as the soft dome midrange? is it an ADS?
upload_2022-2-6_10-50-6.png

Also, any tips or tricks to get the best reproduction out of these?
I've included a demo for sound...

 
Register to hide this ad
Add the electronic crossover and a couple DQ-1W subs and you'll be there.

These are written about a lot on ak. Search for some threads about them for further info.
 
Do you have experience with the pregnant penguins in your avatar? How do they sound compared to the DQ-10s?

If you have almost any DQ-10 the serial number is a chuck of paper on the tweeter baffle near the fuse for the tweeter. Latest models had the serial number stamped on the input panel. What numbers do you have...if you have either of the paper tags still attached?
 
Do you have experience with the pregnant penguins in your avatar? How do they sound compared to the DQ-10s?
If you have almost any DQ-10 the serial number is a chuck of paper on the tweeter baffle near the fuse for the tweeter. Latest models had the serial number stamped on the input panel. What numbers do you have...if you have either of the paper tags still attached?

Yes, I have the DM6's and will do a youtube video this week...They are my speakers to beat. Just amazing...have not compared them side by side, two heavy awkward speakers to set up lol :)
I have attached a few pic's...Original crossovers.

20220207_134540.jpg 20220207_134108.jpg
 
Wow those are early versions. A full recap is warranted, except for the two film caps to the far left in the pic, replace if you want or if off-spec.
Both pair I have had, one gone now, needed the room, were electrolytic cap versions and I threw in film caps and mirrored them.

Nice project you have there.

A friend has the 6s and picked them up already modded. I guess I'll have em soon to refurb them before moving them on...if they don't beat out some of the boxes I have here.
 
Wow those are early versions. A full recap is warranted, except for the two film caps to the far left in the pic, replace if you want or if off-spec.
Both pair I have had, one gone now, needed the room, were electrolytic cap versions and I threw in film caps and mirrored them.

Nice project you have there.

A friend has the 6s and picked them up already modded. I guess I'll have em soon to refurb them before moving them on...if they don't beat out some of the boxes I have here.

What are you listening through these days? what's your current speaker? When you hear the DM6's - they are a great speaker...
 
Obligatory note that DQ-10s require at least 200,000 watts of Class A/B/C/D power to sound right. ;)
Or just decent tube power, 50 watts is fine. I have ss horsepower but prefer the Luxman tube amp sound until I need it really loud. Hell 200 wpc isn't that much louder than 50wpc.
 
What are you listening through these days? what's your current speaker?
Currently the DQ-10s DQ-LP1 and DQ-1W are hooked up. Moved on the ADS L1590/2 and Bose 901 (this pair bought to flip, a friend needed something powerful for his out building) and still have the Time Windows and Magneplanar MG-IIIa, plus small speakers on other systems.

Kinda looking forward to the PPs as they have a reputation and I haven't heard them.
 
Currently the DQ-10s DQ-LP1 and DQ-1W are hooked up. Moved on the ADS L1590/2 and Bose 901 (this pair bought to flip, a friend needed something powerful for his out building) and still have the Time Windows and Magneplanar MG-IIIa, plus small speakers on other systems.

Kinda looking forward to the PPs as they have a reputation and I haven't heard them.

Nice set up...If your familiar with the Dahlquist, you'll like the PP's . They are also phase array speakers or some say phase coherant. in my opinion their just amazing...With the Dahlquist you need a subwoofer but with the pp's, it naturally goes deep and punchy bass to boot :) i'm curious to get your feedback after you listen to them... cheers. here's a read up on them., although i don't agree with some negative things he writes...he's being very picky...Their great.
https://www.stereophile.com/content/bw-dm-6-loudspeaker

I'm definitely gonna change out the caps on the DQ-10 boards, maybe make them mirrored and fix the tweeters...Don't know if ill keep them, but for a few months ill enjoy them anyway...
 
Last edited:
If you look over the info in the .io wiki page, you can update your crossovers to the latest version, I think with properly selected caps. One thing different is your large resistor on the right of the crossover, most have a pair of 4Ω 15W in series for 8Ω. But I'll leave the detective work to you and see if you have any questions there do seem to be some other parts that might be different but add up to the same thing used in the latest versions.
 
If you look over the info in the .io wiki page, you can update your crossovers to the latest version, I think with properly selected caps. One thing different is your large resistor on the right of the crossover, most have a pair of 4Ω 15W in series for 8Ω. But I'll leave the detective work to you and see if you have any questions there do seem to be some other parts that might be different but add up to the same thing used in the latest versions.

I will definitely be taking the time upgrading these. i just spent the last 2 hrs listening to the DQ-10's with a powered subwoofer and all i can say is WOW...Amazing sound combined...Imagine when I hook up my 200 wpc SONY TA-N77ES amp, the boards are upgraded, I mirror them and critical speaker placement is done. OMG, These are now up there with the B&W's.

Also just noticed from doing some reading, these woofers may have been changed or maybe the time the company sourced the Advent speaker as a replacement...i think these early units had a 10" CTS woofer.
 
Last edited:
Well I have the PPs in the house. No place to put the DQ-10s but they have moved aside to allow the Dahlquist DQM-905 speakers that I built stands for to be next to the PPs for some listening.

you said if I liked the 10s, I'd like the Penguins. You are right. These just sound good. The seller years ago told a friend they had upgraded tweeters. I don't have any complaints about the high frequencies based on listening so far but don't know what tweeter is in these or if the crossover was modded or upgraded when the tweeters were changed. The sound is just smooth, better bass than the 10s sans subs. 10s image better but I haven't fussed with the positioning, yet. More learning, more listening to do.
 
Please tell me guys, advent bass woofer is 8 ohms or 4 ohms ? and i want to ask the same for motorola piezo, what impedance have ? Thank you !
 
Back
Top Bottom