• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dahlquist M-907 Specs/Opinions???

MoparMan

Active Member
Hi, I just picked up a set of Dahlquist M907 speakers that are in good shape other than needing refoamed. Also the grilles are a little messed up. I got them for the ridiculous low price of $3 for both! I couldn't pass them up knowing that the DQ10s were supposed to be so great. I've never owned any Dahlquist and was wondering if anyone has any specifications or opinions about them?

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Just Confirmed They Are Vifa Mids/Tweets

Well, I just brought them in the house and started inspecting everything. They are in better shape than I initially thought. They were missing a screw-in fuse holder on each speaker and the foam on the woofers are shot. But all drivers work. I took one of the mids and tweeters out and they are Vifa. I'm guessing these were made in the late 80's. The grilles are going to need the fabric reglued also. I'm still in shock that I got the set for $3 total! The woofer looks a lot like the same design of the old masonite Advent woofers. Maybe a slightly bigger magnet and deeper basket.
 
I had a pair of the M-909's pictured below. A very nice set of speakers and very well designed. They had all Vifa Drivers, My woofers had rubber surrounds so no worry about rot. I sold them to a friend who really loves them. The M Series (M-905, M-907, and M-909) were designed by Carl Marchisotto who worked at Dahlquist and then went on to start Nola and Alon which are currently in business today building speakers in the 20K to 40K range.
107_0787.jpg

107_0792.jpg
 
Yes mine had rubber surrounds too. I think someone may have changed the woofers in yours. One thing is for sure though... You stole them for three dollars total even if they have different woofers in them. Get them working and I can almost guarantee you will love them.
 
Nope, they are the original square magnet woofers with stamped steel baskets and foam surrounds. Everything (not much either-just a few pics) that I've found about them has the same woofers as mine do. The tweeters and mids look the same as the pics of the 909's. The woofer looks like a Dahlquist DQ-10 woofer exactly. Also the back of them looks like an EPI woofer. It has a pin-cushion frame. Do a search on that big auction site for "DAHLQUIST M907 woofer" and you'll come up with the exact woofers mine has. If you want to see the front, then search for "Dahlquist DQ-10 Woofer Refoam Kit" and look at them. Maybe I'll post some pics later when things slow down around here.
 
Last edited:
Nope, they are the original square magnet woofers with stamped steel baskets and foam surrounds. Everything (not much either-just a few pics) that I've found about them has the same woofers as mine do. The tweeters and mids look the same as the pics of the 909's. The woofer looks like a Dahlquist DQ-10 woofer exactly. Also the back of them looks like an EPI woofer. It has a pin-cushion frame. Do a search on that big auction site for "DAHLQUIST M907 woofer" and you'll come up with the exact woofers mine has. If you want to see the front, then search for "Dahlquist DQ-10 Woofer Refoam Kit" and look at them. Maybe I'll post some pics later when things slow down around here.

I'd be curious to see the crossover schematic if you happen to trace it out at some point.
 
The specs for the Dahlquist M907 model are the following:
Impedence: 8 ohms nominal, 6 ohms minimum
Power requirements: 40 watts minimum, 150 watts maximum
Sensitivity: 88dB at 1kHz, 1 Watt, 1 meter
Frequency response: 30 to 24,000 Hz
Crossover frequencies: 400, 3,500 Hz
Driver complement: 10" woofer, 5" midrange, 1" dome tweeter
System type: Acoustic suspension
Fuses: Buss type AGC-3A & AGC-8A (the M907 brochure I was reading from online wasn't super clear so it could be .3A or .8A, if that is possible)
Connection: 5-way binding posts will accept dual banana plug
Size: 27"H x 13.5"Wx 10.5"D
Weight: 40 lbs.
Finish: Genuine walnut veneer with solid walnut trim on grille
 
Last edited:
M907 decision

Hi all, I am new to this forum but since it had alot of info on my particular speaker I thought I would pose the question. I am the original owner of a pair of M-907's. The typical foam issue as noted, I have. I am in the process of planning a home theater overhaul and replacing speakers etc. I stopped by our local audio store and looked at the Klipsch Reference II series speakers specifically the RF82 II's. Has anyone compared sound side by side on this speaker against the 907? Since I have not used these speakers for some time I sort of lost judgement of the sound they produced. The speakers other than the woofer are in great shape. I have kept them in really good condition. Are these series speakers that much better than the current Klipsch models or is it not even fair to compare? Thanks for all your help.
 
Found this M907 schematic many years ago, probably on the Dahlquist
Yahoo group and I made an obvious correction:
I'm not sure who traced this out - anyone know?
DAHLQUIST M907 XO.JPG
 
Last edited:
Odd about the woofer. My 905's have rubber surrounds too. So, how does it work out that the middle speaker in the series has foam while all of the others are rubber?
 
Odd about the woofer. My 905's have rubber surrounds too. So, how does it work out that the middle speaker in the series has foam while all of the others are rubber?
The woofers on m907s is a 10” advent woofers in a 12” cage and they are foam. All the rest are Danish Vifa drivers with butyl surrounds.
 
The woofers on m907s is a 10” advent woofers in a 12” cage and they are foam. All the rest are Danish Vifa drivers with butyl surrounds.
I still love mine. Bought them from second owner a few years ago. Just took these tonight.

FA81C418-C4A9-4D81-8129-A18FD6506453.jpeg 28026BA7-43C8-46DD-8C29-461E42426228.jpeg
 
I still love mine. Bought them from second owner a few years ago. Just took these tonight.

View attachment 2229227 View attachment 2229228
I really like the M907 because of there long term listen-ability. I have a set a Dahlquist DQM-9c speakers which I recapped and sound great but because they are monitors are more upfront sounding. I was and still am very Impressed by the M907s but recently acquired a pair of Dahlquist M909s, those are powerful and power hungry speakers. If you have a good amp the 4 Danish Vifa drivers in the M909s cannot be beat. The Dahlquist speakers designed by Carl Marchisotto are constructed with a care you will not find ever again, in my opinion.
 
They don’t make the Vifa drivers any longer but the replacement dome and coil are only $25 and those are available all day long! Regnar has some replacements but their price is a bit much.
Lol. Dude literally said if you blow the tweeter you can get a dome with a coil..

I'm looking at a local sale with M907's that are foam, and need replaced. The rest looks pretty good. Comes with the stands. Guys asking $200 what would be a good price today? I know this is old, but I've never owned Dahlquist. TiA
 
Found some 907s here locally that look stunning so I started digging around and found some info which states the company was owned/founded in 73 by Saul Marantz and Jon Dahlquist. What?? So Marantz had one company making this line of speakers and another making the Imperial line? Why? And along those same lines, do Dahlquist speakers and Marantz receivers make a good pairing?
1743649063791.png
 
Saul founded Marantz, sold in 64, stayed till 68. No What?? there. Marantz was just his name for almost all of the vintage gear that sells for so much more than other gear.

check wiki for the company and for Saul. Just another Japanese stereo manufacturer, mostly.
 
Back
Top Bottom