• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dahlquist M905

I've been listening to the M905's all day and I must say, if I could add anything to my review above (it won't let me edit it), it's the the tweeter is just a bit fatiguing. I've never had a tweeter like this one. It slaps much in the same way as professional speakers do. The highs definitely hit just a tad forward. It's that same type of snappy treble you'd hear from a Class A solid state amplifier. I was away from my living room folding clothes when I realized, the highs reminded me of the way I would hear them at a rock concert. There's that crisp, snappiness that is just a bit fatiguing for me, but I don't mind it the same way other speakers fatigue me. My Focal Chorus 705's fatigue the living **** out of my ears (the treble and the bass). At least the M905's aren't that bad. My amplifier is Adcom GFA 5400 which has good highs, but they are largely neutral. I do have an amplifier by Nikko whose highs are just slightly laid back. That might be a better combination for me.
With certain sources the highs can be a bit forward with mine too. In particular I have an ADC XLM II cart on my Dual 1228 and the highs are a bit more forward than Iike on some records. With that setup I just click back a bit on the treble and it's fine. With other more laid back carts, tapes, and bluetooth I find them to be just right.

My experience is that the higher up I go on the phono cart food chain the more the treble is pronounced. I just run less revealing styli and carts that are warm. Shure M75/91 with a basic elliptical or a Pickering with a conical are the type of cartridges I like to run.

I would imagine that a higher end amp, CD player, DAC, etc might make these speakers sound bright because they have such a modern/hi end sound. I choose to attenuate that with "lower quality" amplification and sources to get the more round sound I prefer.
 
I just picked up a pair with matching stands. I had heard the dq-10's and they were amazing. Never heard of the m905. But wow, very nice.
 
No, I'm in Eastern PA. I picked up a ton of stuff from a widow who's husband sort of collected/horded vintage audio. These were part of 8 pairs of speakers I picked up. Very dirty from sitting in a dank basement. They cleaned up so nice almost like new. And just sound amazing. And with the factory matching stands. Unfortunately, I just don't have room to "collect". I like to pick up stuff in need of cleaning/restoration/repair and then sell. So these will be on the marketplace soon. I also picked up a set of ADS 780's, KEF C75, JSE Prophile's, PS Audio PS-10, a pair of Paradigm's that I don't know what model they are, the list goes on. I really wish I could keep these. Just too bid for me to store and put into rotation. But I will be keeping the JSE's. They are amazing.
 
M905 don’t get the attention they deserve. Great match with my HK730 receiver (which can sound a little dark with other speakers)
They are not as refined, natural, or deep as my main ADS L810 but their sound signature is wonderful and as enjoyable in other ways. Something about a simple 8" woofer + tweeter combo that works great in apartments and small space settings
Like other have said, M905 top notch built quality (elaborate cabinet layering + 1/4" solid oak panels + non degradable film caps crossovers) certainly contribute to their fine tuning, and of course the classic Vifas drivers. I highly recommend these musical speakers
 
Back
Top Bottom