• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dahlquist

Marantzfan.....congrats on your latest pickup...:banana:

attach some pics when you can, luv to see them...:smoke:
 
Congratulations one of my favorites. I didn't get them in '76 because I couldn't afford enough clean watts to drive them. Went with B&0 M70s for even money. No regrets, but I still want some DQ-10s at somepoint.
I have a question for those far more knowledgable than I. Why did they come identical unless you wanted to pay extra to have them mirror imaged? Could there ever be an advantage to not mirror imaging speakers in a 2 ch stereo set up?
 
Congratulations one of my favorites. I didn't get them in '76 because I couldn't afford enough clean watts to drive them. Went with B&0 M70s for even money. No regrets, but I still want some DQ-10s at somepoint.
I have a question for those far more knowledgable than I. Why did they come identical unless you wanted to pay extra to have them mirror imaged? Could there ever be an advantage to not mirror imaging speakers in a 2 ch stereo set up?

Maybe speaking out of turn here, but in order to mirror image they would have to set up the assembly line in two different ways; one for the elft and one for the right. My guess is they were waiting to see how succesfull they would sell before going with a more costly production proccess???:scratch2:
 
Marantzfan,

Congrats on a great find at a great price! I've personally not heard that setup, but do know from reading opinions (here and elsewhere for years) that if you have the matching subwoofer and the crossover piece to go with the mains, you've got a splendid grouping above and beyond the 10's themselves. Please keep us aprised of your listening results. If I ever get a larger room I'd love to audition (own) that grouping for myself....

Mike
 
Well, I gave them an hour long listening tonight, which included Dire Straits: Brothers In Arms and Roger Waters: Amused to Death..

Very impressed. I have never heard imaging like this before. On a couple of passages on Amused to Death it was near holographic. At the beggining of track 3 I believe, there is a man breathing and then some thunder. Man it felt like it was all around me. Eerie, even.

I am not seeing this void in bass that I often hear assocciated with these speakers. To my ears they appear to have MORE bass then my Vandersteen 2ce's ever did. Could be the room, who knows, but I know that I never got that kind of low end out of the Vandy's...:no:

As for condition, they are not perfect. They are very nice though. The stands are there although one took on some water damage at some point. The speakers both look really good, just missing some of the screws that hold the cage on the back.

I think I am going to do the mirror imaging mod and recap the crossovers at least. If these speakers can sound better, I want to hear it.

I am so stoked about owning these, they are really something special..

BTW, I haven't hooked up the crossover and sub yet...:D
 
Maybe speaking out of turn here, but in order to mirror image they would have to set up the assembly line in two different ways; one for the elft and one for the right. My guess is they were waiting to see how succesfull they would sell before going with a more costly production proccess???:scratch2:

Yeah that occurred to me but then were not talking about a GM production line. To rephrase could there be an audible benefit to not mirror imaging them?

Well, I gave them an hour long listening tonight, which included Dire Straits: Brothers In Arms and Roger Waters: Amused to Death..

Very impressed. I have never heard imaging like this before. On a couple of passages on Amused to Death it was near holographic. At the beggining of track 3 I believe, there is a man breathing and then some thunder. Man it felt like it was all around me. Eerie, even.

I am not seeing this void in bass that I often hear assocciated with these speakers. To my ears they appear to have MORE bass then my Vandersteen 2ce's ever did. Could be the room, who knows, but I know that I never got that kind of low end out of the Vandy's...:no:

As for condition, they are not perfect. They are very nice though. The stands are there although one took on some water damage at some point. The speakers both look really good, just missing some of the screws that hold the cage on the back.

I think I am going to do the mirror imaging mod and recap the crossovers at least. If these speakers can sound better, I want to hear it.

I am so stoked about owning these, they are really something special..

BTW, I haven't hooked up the crossover and sub yet...:D

That's what I remember - imaging. Listen to some well recorded full orchestras. Amazing. The DQ-10s held their own compared to some seriously more expensive Harold Beverage System 2s they had in that shop. I'm jealous as hell. Enjoy. Can I drop by sometime when I visit my brother in Avondale? :D
 
Yeah that occurred to me but then were not talking about a GM production line. To rephrase could there be an audible benefit to not mirror imaging them?



That's what I remember - imaging. Listen to some well recorded full orchestras. Amazing. The DQ-10s held their own compared to some seriously more expensive Harold Beverage System 2s they had in that shop. I'm jealous as hell. Enjoy. Can I drop by sometime when I visit my brother in Avondale? :D

Definately stop by. My doors open any time!

I will report further on these and post pics soon.....
 
Good luck with the speaks - I had a similar situation 2 weeks ago - same exact setup - offered $300 for the speaks crossover and sub - some dude came in late and offered $400 and I lost out. I had it - all I had to do was get off my dumb ass and make the 5 mile trip to pic them up but it was my 12 hr work day the next day as well.... he who hesitates. Same ole same ole... man was I bummed. Actually now that we are talking about it, I'm still bummed and the seller GAVE AWAY a mighty fine pre just to get them outta the house. Hopefully the guy that got lucky and beat me too em will stop by here someday. I pointed him our way. It's a stupid funny story how I found out who beat me out.... yeah a small world...

Anywho - I've got the DQ8s and the DQ-12s and me likey. I'm patient and will get the 10s someday.

Bob
 
DQ-10, 20i, 12, 9, 9c and Magnat 6PII here.

Yes, I mirrored mine, just need some wire so the xovers can reach the drivers. Get exact about the baffle placement and angles (or just leave it alone).

Don't understand when you said 12's set up like 20's. Did you put a larger 2 ft bass cab on them and change the tweeters to ScanSpeaks and changed the crossover out? And add extra mass to the grill frame? I thought about it before I got stock 20i's :nerd:

Since tarior recapped/total refurbed my SX-1250 I have not linked it up to the DQ-10's. Glaring omission in my testing... :nono:
 
Can you tell us where you got the information to mirror image the DQ speaks. I'm interested specifically in the DQ-12s

Thanks,

Bob
 
Don't understand when you said 12's set up like 20's. Did you put a larger 2 ft bass cab on them and change the tweeters to ScanSpeaks and changed the crossover out? And add extra mass to the grill frame? I thought about it before I got stock 20i's :nerd:

No, not that complete a conversion, but they are factory-set for bi-amping, with a modified crossover. The mid and tweeter are identical with those on the DQ-20. The cabinets are the DQ-12s, though, not the larger DQ-20s.

Whatever the differences, they sure do sound nice! :music: Similar in sonic character (clarity, soundstage) to the DQ-10s, although they probably fall a bit short in an A/B comparison, but these have a much smaller footprint which makes them much easier to use (and gives them much better WAF!).

On balance, I'm happy with them, because if I got DQ-10s, I'd most likely end up doing with them what I do now with my Infinity RS IIs -- pulling them out for listening sessions, and putting them back in the storage room, in between!
 
I forgot that the 20i has the SS tweet and the 20 has the Vifa like the 12. I've never seen a 20 so I assumed they had the 19mm dome. Do they have the 25mm dome like my (later, multi-binding post) 12s?

I should imagine a 19mm would be crossed higher than a 25mm, but I don't know.
 
Back
Top Bottom